Chapter 22

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Branch's POV >

Branch was leaned up against the bars of the cage, his face smashed into one of them. He ignored the coldness of the rusty metal, too upset and hopeless to care or notice. It was a surprise that his colors had not drained from his body. After all, the King was becoming rather depressed from the events of losing his daughter. But he knew he had to stay strong for Poppy. If he let his colors fade, so would hers and everyone else's in the cage. They'd been in here for almost a week, given little to no food.

Branch's whole body ached tiredly, dark circles underlining his eyes, and feeling constantly dizzy with a headache. He shut his eyes, sighing, and felt a single tear trickle from his eye. It was nighttime now and everyone was asleep except him.

He then had a sudden flashback...

Branch quickly reached forward, grabbing Iris' hand and pulling her away from the large, jagged stone she was so close to grazing her leg on.

"Careful, Cupcake!" he gasped, lifting her up and holding her against him. "You don't wanna hurt your leg." He nuzzled her cheek affectionately, love swelling his heart and making the smile on his face grow.

"Thank you, Daddy!" the little Troll squeaked as she snuggled into her father's chest. "You saved me!" She reached up, flicking his purple nose with her little hand.

"I'll always save you from trouble," the blue male promised, stroking his fingers through the Princess' soft, unique hair.

Iris was staring up at him with big pink eyes that resembled her mother's perfectly, a smile plastered on her cute toddler face. "Will you always protect me?" she asked.

"Of course I will, sweetheart," Branch cooed, holding her closer and rocking her back and forth before finally setting her back down on her feet. "You feel okay to walk now?"

"Are there any rocks in my way?" Iris asked, scanning the path ahead of them warily.

"Not that I can see, Cupcake," Branch reassured her.

"Then yes!" she replied boldly, marching along the flower-edged dirt path that wound through the little forest.

"Slow down!" Branch giggled as he ran after her, grabbing her hand once again. He was very protective of his daughter and would not let go of her while they were out here.

"It's okay, Daddy!" Iris squeaked. "There's no danger!"

The King smiled once again, his azure eyes full of love. "I know, baby. I'm just trying to make sure you're safe, though."

Iris leaned against his leg, closing her eyes for a brief moment before opening them again. "Okay, let's go!"

Branch and Iris walked on, with Branch's heart feeling warmed by the little moment with his sweet daughter.

The memory was drained from Branch's mind, many more tears spilling from his eyes and soaking his slightly glittery cheeks. "I'm sorry, Cupcake," he whispered to himself. "I'm sorry I didn't protect you from Creek. I'm a terrible father. I broke my promise."

The strong male began to tremble, his hands tightening around the metal cage bars. He sniffled repeatedly and clenched his teeth hard. The wetness of his tears was hot and scorched his face like fire.

"Branch?"

The soft voice of another Troll muttered towards him. He knew who it was without even thinking.