Chapter 14

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Branch's POV >

Branch gazed deeply into the disbelieved eyes of Poppy. They were both so shocked by what was happening, how their daughter continued to raise her voice as she preached how great a Troll Creek was.

They had tried to stop her, but she would snap some vicious retort right in their faces and they found no words of argument in return. Branch was disgusted and disappointed. He was disgusted in Creek for what he had done, taking advantage of a young Troll's lack of knowledge like that! How cruel! And he was very disappointed in Iris for not knowing any better. He had lost count of how many times he told her it was not safe to trust a stranger. I mean, of course he would. Branch was probably the most cautious Troll in the whole village.

He didn't even recognize Iris. Her bright pink eyes were alight with anger and triumph and her muscles were tensed. She was usually laid back and quiet, but now...

"You will not judge this Troll for crimes he did not commit!" the Princess shouted, glancing over at Creek as he came to her side, his expression a little smug. "Your King and Queen are liars!"

Branch thought he felt his heart skip a beat. No...Cupcake, don't do this... He couldn't entirely blame her for the situation. It was Creek who had completely brainwashed her. Had he done something to her? Words couldn't have possibly persuaded this behavior! Iris wasn't like that! Or was she?

I've taught her so much. I've given her basic survival instructions, I've told her not to speak to strange, sketchy Trolls. Yet here she is, defending a traitor! Geez, we really should not have left him out of the story! Regret bubbled up inside the King and he clenched his hands hard, lowering his head. He felt defeated, unable to control anything.

Poppy moved against him, grasping his arm in her hands, and turning towards the gathered Trolls. "Don't listen to Iris, please! She—"

"What if she's right?" called an orange and yellow male Troll from the crowd, gazing up at Poppy with eyes bustling with seething fury.

Branch noticed how surprised the Queen was to have been spoken to like that by one of her Trolls. He glared at the male speaker. "Don't speak to your leader like that!" he barked.

"You're not our leaders! You lied!" a purple female shouted.

Even though most of the Trolls were getting riled up and agreeing with the first two Trolls who had spoken up, Branch could see a few of them were as disbelieved and disgusted as he and Poppy were.

The whole Snack Pack was gazing up at Iris with gaping mouths. Titian, Branch noticed, shook his sparkly red head and turned away, glancing towards the ground. His sister, Blossom, was watching with an unusually interested gaze. The pale pink female Troll really showed no emotion. Heck, she hardly spoke. She was so mysterious...so different. But she seemed to be...enjoying what Iris was saying.

"Creek would be a much better King for you all!" Iris yelled.

Creek smiled over at the Princess, moving closer to her. "Thank you, Iris," he muttered happily. "You're the only one who has understood my agonizing pain. Thanks to those two!" He pointed to Poppy and Branch, his dark violet optics becoming angered again. "Lock them up! You don't deserve to be led by two traitors!"

The Snack Pack rushed forward, shouting protest and surrounding Branch and Poppy protectively.

"Try it!" DJ Suki challenged. "You won't get too far with just two of you!"

Branch was hardly paying attention to the situation anymore. He felt dizzy, his vision slightly crowded with an eerie black mist. He felt so...close to just...

The bright blue Troll collapsed onto his side, his eyes shutting as he was swallowed up by a blanket of darkness.

The feeling of hands pressed to his shoulder and his body being shaken around caused Branch to awaken immediately. He gasped slightly, his bright blue eyes scanning the room he was in. Poppy was there, along with the rest of the Snack Pack.

"Where...are we?" Branch muttered, rubbing his throbbing forehead with a hand. "What...?"

"We're in a cage," Poppy told him, slumping down beside him and bringing him into a hug. The Queen suddenly burst into tears, her face burying into Branch's leafy vest.

The King gripped his wife tightly against him, rubbing the back of her head reassuringly. "It's okay," he told her. But he didn't feel his words were comforting enough. His own eyes were watering up and his voice was hoarse with emotion.

"I see something!" Cooper announced, craning his long neck upwards a little more. "Another Troll!"

"Don't get excited. I think we all know who it is," Guy Diamond said, staring through the cage bars with slightly fearful eyes. He was close to DJ Suki, holding her hand while their two kids stood close by.

Blossom's bright blue eyes had gone expressionless once again and Titian was staring down at his feet, his dark green eyes heavily laced in grief.

Branch knew what he must be thinking. Titian had probably heard about Creek from his parents since they were less cautious about him.

Poppy's whimpering got a little louder and she trembled slightly. Branch lifted her closer to him, sitting on the ground with his broken leg awkwardly held to the side. It was mending pretty well and had only been a minor break so he didn't need his crutches anymore, but it still hurt and there was a limp in his walk.

"Well, you're all awake," came a painfully familiar voice.

Branch glanced over and saw Iris standing just outside the cage, her eyes cold as she stared at her parents. "You know, it didn't have to be this way. You could've made better decisions." She scoffed and shook her head. "Being raised by two criminals. Geez, I thought you were different. Mom, you preached peace and harmony and equality. Dad, you gave me such valuable advise for dealing with life issues yet you didn't even listen to this stuff yourself. Hypocrisy. That's the definition for your actions. Cold, solid hypocrisy."

"Iris, no!" Poppy wailed. "Creek is lying to you! You haven't heard the full story!"

"If you really had wanted me to know about Creek being a criminal, I think you would've mentioned him before." She crossed her arms, her pink eyes only becoming more accusing.

"Very well said, Iris," Creek purred as he walked up beside the Princess. "Iris doesn't deserve to have terrible parents. I shall take over. I'm doing her a favor, saving her from any mental abuse. Or possibly physical. Your father is a violent one, Iris." He shook his head as he glared at Branch.

"Fuck you!" Branch shouted, rising weakly to his feet and limping towards the cage bars, gritting his teeth. "I'm gonna rip that stupid—"

"See, I told you." He sighed and turned away. "Keep guard on them, Iris. I have work to do."

Iris stared at every Troll in the cage for a few more heartbeats before seating herself, her hands resting in her lap and her eyes dark.

Everyone exchanged glanced. They weren't sure what to do, or what was going to happen next.

But all Branch could hope for was...that Iris would come to her senses. And he doubted any of that happening.

Yay that was painful to write and now my back hurts from sitting in the same position. So appreciate my work! 😂😂

Thank you for reading!