Chapter 21

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Iris' POV >

The loud knocking on the door continued and Iris pulled away from Creek, staring over at him questioningly. "What do we do?" she asked. She knew the Troll did not hear them as they were outside the pod, but it was still awkward.

"Let's just get dressed really quickly and go down and see who it is," the King replied, walking over and grabbing his boxers and pants and quickly slipping them back over his naked body.

Iris nodded. She grabbed her own clothes off the floor and put them back on, looking in a nearby mirror and smoothing down her split-colored hair that had been ruffled from sweat. Her heart was still pattering wildly against her chest. That moment with Creek had just been too short for her. She honestly wanted it to continue, but that wasn't going to be happening.

The knocks sounded again, this time much, much louder. "Ain't getting any younger here, guys!" called an impatient voice.

Iris recognized it at once. Blossom? What's she doing here? She followed Creek out of the room and watched him as he scampered towards the door, quickly opening it and staring at the pale pink female standing in the doorway with her bright blue eyes glistening with annoyance. Her arms were crossed against her chest.

Creek blinked in surprise as he stared at her. "Blossom, you're supposed to be guarding the prisoners!" he growled.

"Yeah, well, there are more important things happening. I've found a trespasser. You might wanna talk to her." Blossom tapped her foot against the ground. She was clearly trying to hold back from exploding.

Iris stepped closer and met Blossom's gaze, tilting her head curiously at the white-haired girl. "A trespasser?"

"Let me see her then," Creek told Blossom, nodding in indication that he wanted her to take the lead.

Iris followed the other two Trolls out of the pod, closing the door behind her and continuing on through the village. It was a little chilly now as the sun began to set and clouds scuttled across the sky and half covered the brightness.

"Please come here," Blossom called as she halted, beckoning another Troll over with a few waves of her hand.

Iris followed her gaze to see the newcomer. Her skin was all gray, her hair black and rather spiky (which was weird for Iris to see) and streaked with lines of pale gray. The only color filling her whole form was her two brown eyes that resembled the bark of a tree trunk. She looked angry, tired, and mysterious. She was obviously a quite young Troll, judging by the firm muscle showing underneath her arms and legs and the sleekness of her hair and skin.

She does not look like a Troll I'd want to mess with, Iris thought, suppressing a shiver.

The girl Troll had a bag flung over her shoulder, wearing nothing but a strange wood-colored outfit that was worn in one piece. It kind of reminded her of the outfit Satin always wore. Around her legs were some strange black bracelet-like accessories that looked sort of like chains, like she had just broken lose from being locked up.

"And who, may I ask, are you?" Creek asked as he stepped towards the strange female.

She scowled at him. "Why am I not surprised?" she scoffed. "I didn't expect any of you to remember me. I see I was right." Her pure brown optics flickered over to stare straight at Iris, scanning her up and down. "Princess Iris. You've grown since the last time I saw you."

Iris blinked in shock. "Y-you know me?" she questioned.

"Of course," she replied. "But the last time I laid eyes on you, you were two years old. Where's Branch and Poppy?"

"They're nothing but traitors! They've been—"

Creek lifted his hand, silently telling Iris she needed to shut her mouth. "Iris, there are more important things to discuss with this girl. Please, miss, what is your name?"

"My name is Pine," she replied. "And last time I checked, Creek was dead and not King. What did you say, Iris? About your parents being traitors?" The look Pine gave Iris made her breath hitch in her throat. "Are you seriously on Creek's side? And you too? Blossom, I think your name is. I left right after you were born."

Blossom rolled her eyes. "Stop acting like some tough know-it-all. Yeah, we get it, you saw us when we were little! Why are you here??"

Pine's eyes glazed over in a certain expression that Iris couldn't pinpoint but it sent cold fear trickling through her veins.

"Alright, stop fighting!" Creek shouted, his eyes fuming with rage. It was rare to see the calm and collected male this way. He had to be really annoyed before this side of him uncovered itself. "And Blossom, you've no right to question Pine why she is here. That's my job. I'm King, after all."

"Really?" Pine tipped her head to one side, her spiked black hair swaying. "Because last time I checked, Branch and Poppy ruled this domain. And I remember watching you die, Creek."

"I brought him back to life," Iris told her, puffing out her chest with pride. "This is his kingdom now. Branch and Poppy are nothing but traitors who trample down on hearts. Poor Creek just wanted my mother to love him but she turned—"

Iris was cut off as Pine brought into a bout of laughter. "You...you seriously believe that bullshit?" She leaned back against a nearby boulder, her head thrown back and her eyes shut with a wide open smile molded into her features as she giggled nonstop. It was mixed with amusement and disgust and Iris was immediately infuriated.

"It's not funny!" the Princess snapped. "Why are you laughing?"

Pine regained herself, taking deep breaths and wiping a tear from her eye. "Eesh, you guys crack me up," she panted out. "Now, sweeties, I don't think you understand this but you've been manipulated."

"Shut your mouth right now!" Creek growled. "You've been given no right to speak to them like this."

"Oh, I'm so scared," Pine said with her voice heavily in sarcasm. "You know, Creek, I'm no longer a member of this place. You have no control over me."

Creek shrugged. "Maybe not. But I can chase you out," he replied.

"Whatever," Pine snorted. "I was actually here to ask if I could rejoin. You might need a strong Troll like me at your side."

"You remind me too much of Branch during his grumpy days," the purple male groaned, rolling his eyes. "And I don't need another Branch walking around in here."

"Whether I act like Branch or not is a matter of opinion," the gray-skinned female corrected. "Where are the King and Queen anyway?"

Creek pointed towards himself using his index finger. "You're looking at the King right now!" He then looked at Iris. "And this is the Princess. Therefore, she is the future Queen so bam, there she is for you!" He turned back to Pine. "There you go, sweetheart, you've been given your answer. Now out you go!"

Pine looked like she was about to argue but then sighed, her shoulders slumping and her head hanging.

Iris was surprised. Pine did not really seem like the type to give up an argument so easily. She even looked defeated.

Triumph flared in Creek's violet orbs as he watched the gray female.

"Fine. Whatever. I'll leave." Pine shrugged, readjusting the bag draped over her shoulders. She whipped around, her pointy ears moving back irritably.

Iris chuckled softly. "Well, that was easy," she commented.

"Too easy," Blossom added.

There you all go! I revealed the identity of the mystery Troll. When some of you wondered if it was Branch's grandma I laughed so hard. Boi, even if his grandma hadn't been killed, I think she would be dead by now anyway. Old age, you know?

Anyways, thanks for reading and don't forget to vote!