Chapter 6

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Iris' POV >

Iris groggily lifted her head. At first, she could not remember what had happened. But then it came back to her, the shrieking of the monstrous spider attacking her and her father, the hideous noise of Branch hitting a tree trunk. She still had not liked that crunch sound that came from it. He had probably broken a bone, and she could only hope and pray it was a minor break.

What if he broke his skull? she thought, feeling guiltier than ever. If so, he'd be dead and it would be her own stupid fault. She had put her father in unnecessary danger.

"Iris!" Came a relieved voice from nearby.

Wait...they found us out in the forest? She opened her eyes weakly, wincing as the new brightness stung her gaze. Standing over her was her mother Poppy. She realized she was in her own room, tucked away in her pod. Did that mean Branch was fine and she'd only just imagined him breaking something? Or had the whole thing been a nightmare?

"Mom...?" Iris muttered weakly, reaching out for the Queen with a shaky hand. Her mother moved closer to her, rubbing her hand across her back.

"Yes, sweetie?" she asked.

"Where's Dad?" Iris hoped she would say he was just outside as usual, and then perhaps ask why she needed to know. But all hope of that happening drained away as the pink troll's gaze became sorrowful.

"He's...in the hospital," she replied.

Iris felt her heart slam to a complete stop in her chest. "Wh-what h-happened to him?" she asked nervously, a lump gathering in her throat and her eyes watering. No! I hurt him!

Poppy reassuringly brushed her hand against Iris' cheek. "He just broke a leg. Don't worry." The Queen lifted herself up onto her daughter's bed, pressing herself against her and bringing her into a hug.

The blue-skinned female felt relief wash through her so fiercely she was dizzy from it. She buried her nose into Poppy's shoulder and closed her eyes. "I'm sorry," she muttered. "I shouldn't have left. I understand if you ground me. I don't care. I deserve it."

"Hey, hey," Poppy said softly, holding Iris tighter against her. "We're not mad at you." She sighed, pecking her forehead with a soft forehead kiss. "Why don't you tell me what exactly happened? I wanna help you, Iris. Don't be afraid to talk to me about your problems."

Iris stared into her mother's bright magenta eyes, feeling quite comforted by it. She wanted to speak, to cry and tell her how she hated getting swarmed and treated like she was some holy goddess straight from the skies. She felt she'd just make Poppy extremely worried and then she'd just get fussed over even more. But...was it really good to bottle up these thoughts? She couldn't even tell her best friend. She had pushed him away too. But then she suddenly remembered that stranger in the forest. She had not seen him directly eye-to-eye, but she trusted him? She wasn't sure. He seemed nice and he seemed able to help her. But she doubted she'd ever speak to him again. There's no way I'm going back out into that forest after this.

"Iris?" Poppy's voice roused her from her thoughts.

"Mom, I don't like how everything is going," Iris admitted after a long moment's pause. She was starting to panic. What would her mother think after this?

"What do you mean?" Poppy asked, tilting her head to one side with a quizzical expression.

"I'm tired of entering a room with everyone turning to stare at me and practically kiss the ground I walk on. I want to be left alone sometimes, but your friends can't seem to understand that. Satin and Chenille constantly want to design my clothes, Biggie and Cooper freak out over tiny things and wonder if I'm hurt, DJ Suki always has to have my opinion on her music, Guy Diamond thinks I enjoy being showered in glitter every time I pass him, Fuzzbert always has to tickle me when I'm near him. The only one who hasn't really given me problems is Smidge. But the rest..." Her voice trailed off as that sorrowful lump regained itself in her throat. She felt tears dribbling from her eyes and pressed her face deeper into her mother's soft blue dress.

"Oh, Iris, I'm so sorry," Poppy muttered, and she felt her hand caress the back of her head. "I guess that's why you weren't around for the preparations for the party, huh?"

Iris lifted her head and gazed up at the pink troll. She nodded once and another wave of those salty droplets trickled from her tear ducts. "I just want to be treated normally."

"Honey, listen to me," Poppy said, cupping the Princess' face in her hand and turning her gaze to her once more. "I apologize for my friends' actions. I will have a word with them about it. But I need to tell you something."

Iris stared at her mother with an expectant gaze, just hoping her next words would not cause her to go into some panic mode.

"My friends are protective over you. It's because I'm so close with them and they think you're just like me. But I know you're not. I see Branch in you way more than I see myself. I realize you don't enjoy things like scrapbooking, dancing, hugging, and singing. But don't worry. I never, ever wished for a daughter who would be interested in everything I was. I just wanted to have a daughter to be proud of and to love. I do love you and I am proud of you." She smiled just a little bit, her bright pink eyes twinkling.

Iris was completely touched by her mother's sweet words. She finally managed to gather the strength to hug her back. She was still incredibly sore from last night out in the forest and her head was throbbing in pain. She remembered blacking out as the spider hit her across the head. But she did not remember anything that happened afterwards. "Thank you, Mom," the Princess whispered. "I love you too."

Poppy pulled back just a bit, but her arms were still draped around Iris' shoulders. "Now I was wondering, would you like to go visit your father?"

Iris nodded. "Yes, I would."

Sorry it took a bit for me to update this. I was working on other stuff.

Question:
Favorite person from the Trolls cast?

My answer:
Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake are both very amazing and I love them both.

Give me your answers in the comments and don't forget to vote!