Chapter 34

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Branch's POV >

Branch looked around at the Trolls they'd managed to gather. Just last night, as Creek had left them to prepare for this "war" he had declared, everyone had gone to retrieve the remaining villagers on their side.

There were about twenty of them altogether. And even if that seemed like a large amount, they were still way outnumber by Creek's Trolls.

They'd also made plans to get help from the Bergens, which was an obvious choice. Bridget would certainly be there to take their side. We will win this war, Branch thought with satisfaction.

He noticed Iris pacing backs and forth nearby, her fists clenched and muttered words escaping her mouth. As the King approached her, he noticed how distressed she was looking and his gaze softened.

She was talking rapidly to herself but everything she said was all too quiet for Branch to hear. She eventually halted, letting out a groan of annoyance and kicking away a nearby pebble.

"Uh, Iris?" Branch questioned, tilting his head to one side. "Are you okay?"

The Princess gasped in shock and whirled around, then relaxed when she seemed to notice it was only him. "Oh...h-hi, Dad," she stammered, rubbing the back of her neck. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's nothing."

The bright blue Troll shook his head. "I don't think so," he corrected. He moved closer and gently grabbed her hand. "Please, tell me if something is bothering you. I want to know..."

Iris sighed, lowering her gaze, her pointy ears drooping slightly. "Can we go somewhere else?" she asked. "Somewhere more private?"

Branch glanced over his shoulder, seeing everyone appeared to be occupied for battle preparations and not at all focusing on the King and his daughter. He turned back to her and blinked. "Sweetie, I don't think they're paying attention. But, I mean, if you really wanna go somewhere else, we can."

Iris nodded. "I do want to," she told him. "I just don't feel comfortable talking about this with them so close. What if they come over here? I'm not taking any chances."

"Alrighty, Cupcake," Branch chuckled. "You want me to get your mom? Why do you only need to tell me?" He cupped her face in one of his hands, staring straight into her pretty pink eyes.

"Because I know this is something you'll be better at helping me with," the blue-skinned girl told him.

The King snickered gently, grabbing her hand once more and leading her off through the thick underbrush surrounding the edges of Troll Tree. They had all moved as far from the village as they could but still stayed close enough to watch Creek.

Soon, they arrived in a small clearing, with pretty flowers sticking up from all around. They seemed to be the last colorful thing remaining as fall was still approaching their home.

The brawny male settled himself in the grass, patting the empty space beside him to invite Iris over.

The Princess seated herself next to him, staring at the ground and swirling her fingers over the blades of grass. She looked quite anxious.

"So, what did you need to say?" Branch asked. He moved himself closer to her, staring down at her with a rather concerned look on his countenance. I hope she's not about to confess another horrible thing Creek has done to her.

"Dad, I....I need advise," Iris muttered.

"Okay," the blue male mumbled. "What is it?"

"I thought it would be necessary to ask you this question because w-well...you're a guy..." She stared up at him. "...right?"