Chapter 12

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Iris' POV >
(Yes, I know, I've been using Iris' perspective a lot. I mean, this story is supposed to focus on her a little more. After all, the title is "Iris." Anyways I promise the next chapter will be from a different perspective. Most likely Poppy's because I've been neglecting her a lot.)

The blue-skinned Troll's sobs faded as she regathered herself, lifting him her body more. She was trembling, her hands buzzing and feeling numb from all the hyperventilating she'd gone through. She leaned back against a nearby boulder, bringing her legs up to her chest and resting her chin in between her knees. She tried to process everything that happened.

Titian's enraged countenance had been the last thing she saw before blindly running off to her own little private area. She doubted anyone could hear her. She hoped, at least. She didn't want some Troll to come running in here and offering tons of sympathy. She didn't want it. She could mange just fine by herself...right?

"Iris?"

The Princess froze as a familiar voice spoke her name, soft and friendly. She felt a spark of excitement coursing through her and glanced eagerly around, trying to spot the newcomer. He's back! she thought, her heart giving a leap of happiness. She slowly lifted herself to her feet, trying to find him.

Suddenly, the bushes surrounding her moved aside to reveal him. He stared at her with those kind violet optics with his usual calm and collected visage.

"Creek! You're back!" Iris said happily.

The restrained purple Troll smiled widely. "Yes, I'm back, my dear," he cooed, moving closer to her and bringing her into a quick hug. "Oh, I've missed you. I'm sorry for leaving...it's just...well, when I realized it was Branch coming into the room I panicked." There it was again. That sadness he'd had plastered on his face while telling Iris the depressing story of how Poppy had trampled down on his heart and let him get killed for crimes he did not commit.

Iris felt herself pitying the ghost-Troll. "I'm sorry, Creek," she muttered. "That was a long time ago. Do you really think Branch and Poppy are still like that?" It felt weird to use her parents' names when mentioning them, but she let it happen anyways.

Creek stared at her for the longest time, several emotions flickering across his usually bright and friendly eyes that were now tainted with sorrow. "I'm sure of it," he replied, his octave lowering down to an angered tone and his eyebrows furrowing slightly. "You didn't witness it, Iris. If you'd seen it, you'd be disgusted. I'm surprised they haven't tried to hurt you yet."

Iris blinked in surprise. "They would never do that!" she protested, her voice indignant. "They're kind Trolls who have led their kingdom well. I've no shame in being their daughter. How dare you—?"

Creek grasped her hand in his, making the words tumbling out of her mouth slew to a complete halt. "Hush, Iris," he murmured, smiling with his normal collected expression. "I'm not saying your parents haven't raised you right. After all, you are a very beautiful and unique Troll. I enjoy your company. You're sweet and deserve the best. I'll give Branch and Poppy the credit for that."

The bright blue female felt her cheeks growing hot and she looked away, blush spreading across her face like wildfire. "Er...thanks," she murmured before forcing herself to face him again. "But I...I still don't think—"

"Now, I believe I asked you a favor the other night, did I not?" Creek raised a brow, clearly wanting to change the subject.

Iris remembered. "Bring you back to life?" She scoffed in disbelief. "Snakes better throw up rainbows if that's possible. Why do you need me to do it anyway?"