Chapter 33

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Iris' POV >

The sounds of Creek choking filled Iris' ears as she stood close to her father, her fingers digging into his arm as she gripped him tightly.

She had recognized Smidge's hair the minute it flew through the window. And to her astonishment, the purple-skinned Troll was flung outside, completely out of the room.

Iris exchanged a glance with Branch, seeing her own shock reflected in his eyes.

"Come on!" Branch urged, grabbing her hand and running towards the door with her following quickly after him. They slipped out into the village, the brightness of the sunlight slamming across Iris' vision and making her squint.

The two Trolls turned around, seeing Smidge there, sure enough, with Creek pinned to the ground. The little yellow female had her hair wrapped tightly around the meditator's throat, her teeth gritted angrily.

As Branch and Iris approached, Iris heard Smidge say something. It was quiet, so she had to prick her ears forward to hear better.

"I should've done this a long time ago!" she hissed. "I've known you were nothing but trouble since the minute Poppy started crushing on you. Now look what you've done! You've destroyed this place!"

Creek was struggling, letting out desperate whimpers and ripping at Smidge's hair as he tried to free himself.

The little yellow Troll sighed heavily, retracting her tall bright blue hair back into place.

Creek scrambled up to his feet, panting heavily, and rubbing his swollen throat. "What..." He coughed. "...what do you m-mean?"

Before Smidge could reply, the rest of the Snack Pack ran out of the bushes, anger filling their voices as they screeched at the defeated male.

Iris moved against her father again, afraid of what they all planned to do. She felt his arm wrap around her shoulders and pull her against him. "Are you scared?" he asked gently.

The Princess sighed. "Just shaken up," she replied. "I'll be fine."

She slipped from his grasp, approaching everyone slowly and cautiously.

Creek suddenly bursted out from rage, almost fully recovered from the vicious attack Smidge had flung at him. "Do you really think you can beat me?" he growled. "I have claimed this land as mine! Mine! How do you not understand that? These Trolls trust me not you!"

Poppy ran forward, her fists clenched tightly. "You lied to them!" she yelled.

Creek rolled his eyes. "Oh, lookie there, the little Queen being all brave and tough as usual. Back down before you hurt yourself, sweetie."

The pink Troll scoffed. "I will fight you if I have to. This place belonged to my father and I was destined to take his place afterwards. And that's just what I've done, until you came along and ruined everything!"

The purple male shook his head. "Let me remind you, Poppy, that I was next in line for King when you chose me as your love interest. We could've had such an amazing future but no! Branch is so, so much better!"

Poppy's gaze became so threatening and dark that Iris almost flinched away. She'd never seen her mother so angry—or angry in general. "You. Are. Not. My. Love. Interest. Maybe you were at one time but you proved yourself to be a greedy selfish freak when you sold us all out! Do not hurt these other Trolls! Your quarrel is with me, Creek!"

Creek crossed his arms. "You want this tree back under your command, huh?"

Poppy nodded. "Of course," she muttered. "Like I said, I'll fight you for it. We all will."