Chapter 28

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Iris' POV >

Iris stared in complete disbelief at Smidge, her heart pounding in her chest. She felt so weird now that her colors were gone...so empty...so hopeless. But now some hope was sparking through her (unfortunately, it wasn't enough to make her happy again.) There was still a possibility that her parents and Blossom's family were dead. What if Smidge was the only survivor...?

The little yellow Troll looked a little cautious as she stepped towards the two girls, her strong arms flexed up and showing her big muscles. Iris knew she could knock her out in a single punch and had to force herself not to shudder.

"Looking for something, are you?" Smidge growled.

"Smidge, no! Stop!" Blossom stepped forward, her bright blue eyes glistening with hurt. "We aren't here to hurt you. Please... Look at Iris!"

Smidge seemed to just now be noticing the new state of the formerly blue Princess. Her skin was colorless, gray like storm clouds. Even though her eyes still remained pink, they were dull and sad.

The little female tipped her head to one side, her eyes full of concern. "What happened?"

Iris wanted to fall to her knees and cry once again. "They're all dead, aren't they? My parents, Blossom's family, and all the rest of the Snack Pack! I killed them, didn't I?" She collapsed down, tears spilling from her eyes once again and a giant lump filling her throat as if someone had just made her swallow a stone.

"Iris," Smidge's voice sounded close by. The now-gray female lifted her eyes towards the little Troll, frowning. "No one's dead, silly. They're all alive and okay, safe in the tunnels."

Iris lifted her head higher, her mouth gaping. They're alive? she thought.

Smidge walked over to the Princess and tucked her small hand underneath her face, smiling softly. "Don't be sad," she muttered.

Iris felt another hand on her shoulder and looked upwards, seeing Blossom had joined them. "Yes, please don't be," the pale pink female agreed. "Everyone's alive, Iris. Your parents are, my parents are, my brother is, and so is the rest of the Snack Pack. It'll be just fine. Here." She grasped Iris' hands and lifted her back up to her feet, her bright blue eyes glistening with affection. "Be happy."

Iris felt a whole new rush of hope flare up inside her so harshly, happiness surged through her body like a wave. Suddenly, a strange glowing light appeared at the top of her hair, moving towards, devouring her head, and enfolding the rest of her body until her skin glowed bright blue. Her regular colors had returned! And she was feeling rather excited and relieved, staring down at Smidge. "Please take us to them," she pleaded. "I need to...talk to them."

Smidge nodded and began walking in a different direction, the two younger Trolls following after her.

Iris felt her heartbeat increase with both anxiety and excitement. She was happy to finally see her parents again but anxious about what their reunion would be like. Would they shout at her? Would they tell her to leave Troll Tree? No! They'd never do that. She knew they would be overly relieved to see her again. Man, I sure have a lot of explaining to do. Guilt crashed over her once again. She'd said some harsh things. But, of course, she had meant none of it since her hijacked self had been speaking instead of the real her. I can't believe I did it with Creek. How will I explain that? Do I really have to...?

The bright blue female swallowed hard, her nervousness fighting with her excitement and winning. She noticed a large hole in the ground leading down into darkness and guessed that was the tunnel everyone was hiding in. Her heart was pounding wildly, the noise of it ringing through her ears so loud she was for sure Smidge and Blossom could hear it.