Chapter 32

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Branch's POV >

Branch watched through the bushes, a strange, uncomfortable prick traveling through his body. He wasn't sure what it was about, or what it was trying to tell him. But what he did know, what he did feel, was that...something wasn't right. He raised his head, gazing through the village full of many Trolls, their loud, excited voiced filling his ears. The blue male could no longer handle this crawling sensation in his body. He turned to the Snack Pack.

"I'm gonna go after Iris," he told them, letting a slight challenging expression fill his eyes as he silently dared anyone to protest against his decision.

Poppy turned to her husband, her eyes wide. "What? No! Iris will be okay, Branch," she insisted. "You have to tr—"

"No, Poppy!" the King snapped. He saw hurt fill her gaze and instantly felt guilty. He moved closer to her, brushing a hand against her cheek, his voice softening down as he spoke again. "Something isn't right. I can feel it. Don't deny that you can't feel it either. Iris is your daughter too. Doesn't something feel...off?"

The pink Troll seemed to be taking his words into consideration. She blinked in understanding, a slight jolt of fear passing over her magenta optics. "Y-you're right..." Her voice trailed off. "I-is she hurt??"

Branch shrugged. "I dunno," he answered. "But I'm gonna find out." He gazed around the rest of the Snack Pack, seeing them looking rather worried but a knowing expression filling all of their gazes told him none of them would protest.

"Be careful, Branch!" Biggie muttered worriedly. "We can't lose you!"

The King looked at the much larger Troll. "And we can't lose Iris either. Her life is more important than mine. If it comes down to it, I will risk my life for hers, but I doubt that'll even happen." He turned back to Poppy, smiling lovingly at her, walking back over to her and pulling her against him. "I promise I'll be careful," he muttered. "I'll get her back over here. It's just...something tells me Creek hurt her. I know you can feel that too."

The Queen nodded. "I can," she replied. "I'm worried. But I will stay here and protect these Trolls. As Queen, that is my duty." She moved her face closer and planted a gentle kiss on his lips. "Now go. Save her. We'll be waiting for you."

Branch reluctantly backed away from his wife. He was worried of not returning to her, but knew it was more important that Iris got to her instead of him. I'm coming, Cupcake. Don't be scared. I told you I'd always protect you, and I'm not about to break that promise.

Determination filled the King as he stepped out of the thick vegetation, the bright sunlight piercing across his gaze and making his eyes ache slightly. He squinted his bright blue orbs, trying to block out the sudden brightness. He had been locked in a cage for so long, been sleeping underground, and hiding in the shade of some bushes, that he'd almost forgotten the feeling of the sun seeping warmth into his skin. He had gotten so used to being in dark places. I'll adjust, he told himself. Now let's go save Iris.

The King was aware that if he wasn't careful, another Troll in the village would spot him. He knew more than half of them were on Creek's side so he had to be careful. He ducked down under large mushrooms and flowers, slowing edging his way towards his pod. Creek's pod now, I see, he thought with annoyance.

The crouched down beside a large boulder as three Trolls passed close by him, his heart skipping a few beats and his breath catching in his throat. That was close! he thought, dizzy with relief, as the three Trolls walked off, letting him go completely unnoticed.

The pod was coming into sight now. The bright blue Troll's muscles flexed in anticipation as he waited for the perfect moment to dart towards the home. But before he could move, he was aware of a painfully familiar Troll close by. Creek! There he was, standing close to the pod, watching the Trolls with a smug but slightly-hard-to-read gaze.