Chapter 23

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Poppy's POV >

Poppy pressed harder against Branch, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and watching the Troll slowly approaching them. They had rather spiky hair that was silhouetted against the moonlight just barely filtering in through the window. The Queen tilted her head curiously. That can't be Iris, Creek, or Blossom, she thought. Their hair doesn't look like that. But then again...I'm tired and could be seeing things wrong...also it's dark.

"Who's there?!" Branch repeated his angered question, his eyebrows furrowing and his bright blue eyes narrowing suspiciously. "Speak, damnit! The silent game is—"

"Relax yourself there, buddy," came the voice of the newcomer.

Poppy immediately recognized it as a feminine octave. But she did not recognize it...well, she thought she didn't. There was a strange distinctiveness in it that seemed to flash some kind of memory, but it was so, so faint that she couldn't revive anything of the past for this strange new Troll.

"Who are you?" Cooper called, craning his long neck higher up as if he wanted to appear taller and more threatening. But since the giraffe-Troll just happened to be all cute and funny, it was hard for him to look dangerous and the newcomer clearly did not feel threatened by him.

Titian, Suki, and Guy Diamond huddled close together, Biggie held Mr. Dinkles hard against his chest, Satin and Chenille were holding hands, Smidge cracked her knuckles (like she always does in these situations), and Fuzzbert moved closer to the little yellow female as if he were there to back her up if need be.

"Don't worry, sillies, I'm not one of Creek's little minions," the female told them, coming closer to the cage and letting everyone have a clearer view of her countenance as she moved into the moonlight.

Poppy was surprised to see her skin was completely gray, her spiked hair black and streaked with paler stripes. The only noticeable color on her body were her beautiful brown eyes. She wore a strange once-pieced wood-colored outfit with black chain-like ankle bracelets around the bottoms of her legs.

"Of course no one here recognizes me," the gray girl said with a sigh, flicking her gaze towards Branch. "Not even you, Branch. I'm a little surprised."

The bright blue male tilted his head in confusion, examining the other Troll carefully. "Wait...are you—?"

"Pine? Yes, yes I am." She sighed once again, turning her face away from view for just a few seconds before facing the imprisoned, tired, and distressed Trolls once again.

"What happened to your colors??" Branch asked worriedly. "They're gone... And where have you been? I haven't seen you in years!"

Poppy frowned. What was going on right now? He spoke to Pine as if she were an old friend and well, she probably was. "Branch, who is this?" the pink Troll muttered to her husband. She felt ashamed of herself. She had known every single Troll by heart. She knew their names, their birthdays, their favorite colors, their favorite food. All that basic information. She had memorized every aspect of every citizen her whole life, had devoted every single breath she took to it. But now, she did not know this new, strange female. Her name didn't even ring a bell.

"Pine and I go way back," Branch told her, his eyes flashing with a bit of nostalgia. "I found her when she was little because she'd wondered into my bunker. I was probably a teenager, most likely fifteen years old at this time. She was around seven. It had been storming so I let her stay the night until I finally returned her to her family the next day. After that, we hung out quite often without anyone really noticing." The King shook his head, sighing.

Poppy felt a small flash of jealousy. Had Pine been close to taking Poppy's place in Branch's life? She gazed at the gray-skinned female and sneered. "Oh, so are you in love with her or something?" she growled to her husband.

Branch's eyes widened in surprise at her sudden outburst. "What?? No! Why would you think that?" he demanded.

"I see that sad, longing look in your eyes, Branch!" Poppy snapped, her veins boiling as if fire were passing through her bloodstream. "I—"

"Oh my gosh, sweetheart, please just calm down," Pine said with annoyance, rolling her eyes. "There was never a romantic or hell, even a sexual spark between us. Hey, I don't usually say this upon first meeting another Troll, but if it makes you calm the fuck down then here we go: I'm a lesbian. I always have been. So for me to fall in love with Branch would honestly mean we've suddenly traveled to a parallel universe or something 'cause that ain't happening." She scoffed, shaking her head, her spiky, pine cone-like hair swaying from her cranial movements.

Poppy was both relieved and offended. "Geez, why so rude about it?" she sighed.

"You had an unnecessary fit, honey," Pine told her.

"Okay, okay, stop!" Branch snapped at them.

"Yes, please do. This is annoying." Smidge covered her ears, gritting her teeth and huffing.

The rest of the Snack Pack just stayed silent, watching them awkwardly.

Poppy realized how unfair she'd been and dipped her head. "I apologize, everyone," she said nervously, shuffling a single foot against the cold ground. "Especially to you, Branch. I'm just stressed..."

Branch hugged her close to him, caressing the back of her head. "It's okay, sweet," he murmured, kissing her forehead. "I understand."

"Anyways, you might wanna hear what I have to say," Pine went on, acting like the whole scene had never happened. "I got in here and met up with Creek, Iris, and Blossom. As far as they know, I have left the village. They sent me away, refusing to let me return. But I thought: Hey, why not try and find my old buddy instead of letting him suffer locked up? And sure enough, I found this scraggly little place. Not hidden too well, I must say. And now I'm here. Consider me your lord and savior." She crossed her arms, her bright brown eyes twinkling with satisfaction.

"That's great and all, but do you have a key to help us out?" Guy Diamond asked. "Because we aren't leaving any time soon without one of those!"