Chapter 11

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Iris' POV >

Iris walked through the village, her eyes fixated on her moving feet. She was feeling a little tired this morning as she had hardly slept. But right now, her mind was focused on one thing. Titian. She hadn't seen him for a few days. She'd been in her pod, refusing to leave and interact with any other Trolls.

Unfortunately, the Princess had not received anymore visits from Creek. She wanted to see the strange purple Troll again. He was quite intriguing and different and...well, dead. He was a ghost. The fact that she had the ability to speak to the dead was overwhelming to take in...and a little scary. But Creek was a nice ghost. Right?

Iris flung the thoughts of the restrained male aside. Right now, she needed to see her best friend. She missed him terribly and felt bad about not visiting him.

She was approaching the pod he shared with his family, brushing her fingers through her soft split-colored hair, adjusting the purple flower worn at her forehead, and dusting her hands across her dress to rid of any traces of dirt. She wanted to look presentable for Titian. But why? Because I don't wanna embarrass myself around him, that's why.

She still couldn't see her feelings for the sparkly red Troll clearly. She liked him, perhaps as more than a friend.

She shook herself, forcing herself to remain calm and just hope everything went as smoothly as the breeze. She halted in front of the pod, gulping down her anxiety and mustering the courage to knock on the door.

Just a few moments later, it opened and there stood DJ Suki, staring at Iris with a rather surprised look. "Iris?" She tipped her head to the left side in question. "What are you doing here?"

Iris nodded towards the red-skinned female. "I'm here to see Titian," she replied calmly. "It's been a while and uh...I don't want him to think I've forgotten about him." She smiled brightly, trying to convince the DJ that everything was fine and she was simply here for a happy reunion. She mostly was, but deep down, she still felt terrible about pushing him away when he'd tried to help her. She needed to apologize to him for that.

DJ Suki seemed to hesitate for a moment. "A-alright," she agreed after a while and disappeared inside the pod.

What was that about? Iris wondered. But she shrugged. Perhaps it was nothing.

She stood there waiting for the musician to reappear with her son, humming quietly to herself. She hoped everything was okay. There was something about Suki's reluctancy to fetch Titian that made her uncomfortable.

Looking up, Iris was surprised at what she saw. In the window, Blossom was watching her with a rather threatening gaze. Blossom was Titian's little sister. She hardly talked to Iris and seemed to be suspicious of her these days. Even more than usual right now.

Her bright blue eyes were penetrating and a little intimidating. Iris wanted to look away but she couldn't.

Thankfully, to her rescue, the door to the pod flung open once again and Suki stood there with Titian slowly revealing himself from behind.

Iris smiled to her friend...but he would not meet her gaze. The Princess let her smile droop down and disappear and Suki went back inside without saying anything at all.

"Hi," Iris greeted after a moment's pause. She smiled once again, hoping Titian would catch on and return it and they could go into one of their normal friendly conversations.

But Titian would still refuse to look at her. In fact, she thought she saw a trace of anger in his forest-green eyes. He slowly turned to face her, his visage holding a look that made her heart drop all the way down to her feet. "What are you doing here, Iris?" he demanded in a low, angered voice. "Why would you show your face around me like this?"

"Wait, what?" Iris gasped in surprise. "Titian, what the heck are you talking about?" But then the remembered what she had come here for in the first place. Sadness crashed over her like a tidal wave, striking her heart. Man, she felt so damn guilty about her actions. Titian had just been trying to help.

Titian crossed his sparkly red arms, looking away with a sorrowful and agitated countenance. "You know exactly what I'm talking about," he muttered, still not meeting her gaze.

Iris sighed, glancing down at her bright blue feet and shuffling them against the earth. "Okay, now I know," she replied. "Look, Titian, I'm really sorry." She removed her eyes from her feet and stared up at the red male once again. "I should've trusted you in that moment. I didn't treat you like a real friend should. I'm sorry. I know I'm a jerk."

"Really? Well, it sure did take you a while to come out and say this!" Titian's voice rose a little as he spoke. "I haven't seen you in four days, Iris! Four fucking days!"

"Titian..." Iris was surprised by two things. His words and his sudden use of profanity which was hardly heard of in Troll Tree. In fact, it was almost forbidden. Because it let off negative vibes and that was the last thing Queen Poppy wanted. "I was just..."

"What? You were what?" Titian had his sparkly red hands clenched in fists, his pearly-white teeth gritted hard together. "You know, this makes me think: perhaps you aren't sorry! Because if you were sorry, Iris, you would've come to me as soon as possible! Don't tell me you've been busy with your "Princess stuff" because you never participate in any of that! You lay around and complain about how everyone mistreats you! If anyone shows you a tiny act of kindness, you take offense to it and say they're not treating you the way you like it! Geez, why did I not see how toxic this friendship was until now?" He was trembling now, appearing like an angered bull ready to take charge and use its horns on whatever was contradicting it.

Iris was genuinely surprised to the point of disgust by his words. "Excuse me? If you were in my body for a day or two and walked into a room, I think you'd see the stress I'm given! You don't understand what it's like being royal! Everyone kisses and licks the ground you walk on!" She was trembling now too, the anger and fear trickling icily through her veins. No, this couldn't be happening. Why was she giving into this argument? She didn't want to fight with her best friend! But was he actually her friend? After all, he'd just called their friendship toxic.

Iris couldn't hold it back anymore. A lump of grief rose up in her throat, her bright pink orbs watering up, and her hands shaking more violently than the rest of her body. "If that's how you feel, then goodbye, Titian!" She turned and ran off, not really knowing where she was going. She was just moving on instinct. But her feet were carrying her towards a sheltered, quiet part of Troll Tree that had little to no visitors. She slumped down behind a thick, shaded bush and buried her face into her hands, letting herself whimper and cry as much as she wanted. That had happened way too fast. And it had been completely unexpected. Oh, what was she going to do now?

Yes, I know, I torture my characters a lot. But hey, I have a good reason to torture Iris right now because her character is gonna like turn the fuck around and surprise everyone and I need to hurt her in order for that to work. I'm such a nice person, aren't I? :)

Anyways, thanks for reading and don't forget to vote!