Chapter 35

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Poppy's POV >

Poppy felt pain coursing through her body as she slowly lifted her head, her vision blurry and refusing to focus again for several heartbeats. But, finally, when it did clear up, she was surprised to find herself in her and Branch's pod that had been taken over by Creek. Oh, then that means that wasn't a dream...

She remembered she had been walking through the bushes just to refresh her mind and calm herself. She had been quite stressed over the past few days despite seeming so positive and bubbly as usual. She wanted to look strong for her Trolls because a scared Queen would terrify everyone.

"Well, you're finally awake!" said a slightly cheery voice.

She glanced around and felt her breath catch in her throat as her eyes landed on Creek. He was staring down at her with a smug grin on his face.

The Queen felt anger fill her, boiling her blood, and she tried to strike out at the purple Troll. But a pulling sensation on her legs brought her back down and she collapsed, yelping in surprise as the ground came to meet her body. She shook herself, glancing backwards and seeing her ankles gripped by chains, tying her to the wall.

"You really think I wouldn't secure you down?" Creek asked, snickering.

Poppy glared up at him. "Why, Creek? Just why?" she asked, shaking her head in disgust. "You know, I really had thought you were different. But you can't exactly blame me for not wanting you. I'm sure you would've felt hurt if I had let you get eaten just so I could live. But I'm not selfish like that, not like you. So, tell me, why are you doing this?"

The meditator sighed. "Oh, Poppy. Trying to turn this into some motivational life lesson? It's not working." He turned and began examining himself in a nearby mirror, ruffling his fingers through his turquoise and green-tipped hair. "I won't lie, though."

The pink Troll lifted her head a bit more, watching him with her heart heavy in her chest. "What?"

Creek walked back over to her. "I was very much in love with you. I sold you out just so you didn't have to die with a conscious full of horrible, dreadful thoughts. I did it—"

"Oh, don't start with all that nonsense. That makes no sense!" The Queen's voice raised in fury as she cut him off. "We'd still be dying with horrifying thoughts. We'd be thinking about how we failed. I'd be thinking about how I failed as the Princess of Troll Village. How do you not see that?"

The purple-skinned male shrugged. "Whatever you say, Pops," he giggled.

"Don't call me that," she snarled.

"Well, I'm about to launch my first attack on your Trolls," Creek announced as if she had never spoken. "They're taking too long to my liking. You have like, what? Twenty-five Trolls? I have about fifty on my side. You're all going to die. And this kingdom will be rightfully mine."

"You must have bees in your brain if you truly believe that, Creek!" Poppy retorted. Even as she spoke with confidence, she felt her heart hammering away with fear. This is my fault. Why did I fall in love with Creek back then? If I hadn't, then maybe he would've never gotten an interest in being King. She inwardly sighed. But then again, if I hadn't fallen in love with him, I doubt I would've ever fallen in love with Branch either. As soon as she thought of her husband, an image of him burned in her mind. She knew he'd probably already discovered her absence.

Creek shrugged. "Don't believe me?" he asked. "Well, just watch then. That sick excuse for a King you're married to will he gone, and so will your precious daughter. Iris was very useless, let me tell you. So I'm doing you a huge favor." Before Poppy could reply, he left the room, shutting the door behind him, leaving her by herself.