~IV~ - Johnny Mac's Diner

IV – Johnny Mac's Diner

I had felt the presence, so naturally, I gravitated towards it.

I'm in a place called Johnny Mac's Diner, in the middle of the night. The place is closed, but I can sense the bodies around. And they aren't human. I sniff the air.

Something's definitely gone on here.

I've entered from the back door. The kitchen smells of grease. The refrigerator hums quietly. My feet hit the checkered tile flooring quietly. I've got no weapon, so if I have to fight, I might as well be considered dead. My powers still don't feel up to par with how they normally feel.

As many might believe, it's wrong. It takes a while to regain your power back.

I hear a scuffle. Instinctively, I put a hand out, letting my eyes and palm glow faint blue.

"It's not nice to run," I murmur. "Show yourself."

"Damn it, feathers." Ruby slinks out from a corner, hands out in surrender. "You got me."

"What are you doing here?" I relax.

"Probably the same thing as you."

"Which is?"

"Investigating. No bodies to be found in here. I checked."

I lower my hand, letting the angel Grace in me settle. "Did you check out the diner itself?"

"Not yet."

My ears attune to it, the struggle on the other side of the kitchen doors. Ruby beats me to it first, leaving the kitchen. Through the darkness, I just catch Sam sending a demon through the diner floor, back into Hell, where it belongs. He doesn't acknowledge us, but I have a feeling he's not surprised by us being around.

"Getting pretty slick there, Sam," Ruby says. "Better all the time."

Sam stands, looking down at the corpse at his feet. "What the hell is going on around here, Ruby?"

"I wish I knew." She looks at me. "Anything you want to share with the class, Vera?"

"What makes you assume that I know things that you don't?" I retort.

"You're an angel, for starters. You're the black sheep, we just met you."

I meander through the kitchen, looking at the corpses. Their eye sockets are burned out, blood stains their faces. I know what's done this. This is an angel's work. They're after something, or just smiting demons for sport.

"We were thinking some high level demon pulled Dean out," Sam whispers.

I refrain from scoffing. High level demon, capable of pulling Dean Winchester out of Hell? What purpose would that serve the demon? Wouldn't they want to keep the elder Winchester in Hell?

"No way," Ruby insists. "Sam, human souls don't just walk out of Hell and back into their bodies easy. The sky bleeds, the ground quakes. It's cosmic. No demon can swing that. Not Lilith, not anybody."

"Then what can?"

"Nothing I've ever seen before."

I didn't realize an angel was capable of such movements. Earthquakes? A bleeding sky?