XVIII - A Hit on Pride

XVIII – A Hit On Pride

After Ruby's and my romp for that night, we parted ways. I didn't come crawling back to the Winchesters right away. I would if they needed me on a case that badly. I heard no prayer from Sam or Dean, so I assumed I was good.

I'm at peace in the clearing at night. It's a nice place to clear my thoughts, tune out the angel radio. So far, I've heard nothing but bad things. More seals have been broken; we're up to thirty-four. Just over halfway until Lucifer rises. More angels have been slaughtered.

I want to help, I do. I don't know what's going on with me. My mind feels muddled. Things don't feel as clear as they once were. I mean, I just had a very intimate night with Ruby, a demon. It still affects me, even now. I remember every last detail, some so vividly that I almost get aroused just thinking about it.

It's torment.

My senses tingle, and before I can reach, two angels nab me, restraining me by my arms while a third checks me for weapons. They take away my blade.

"What's the meaning of this?" I demand, struggling between my two captors.

Uriel stands before me, and my feathers are really ruffled in irritation right now. "You know, Vera. Don't act so stupid."

Castiel is nowhere to be seen. This must be a personal mission of Uriel's. "Just whose side are you on?!" I screech. "I'm on your side."

"Are you? Does our side gallivant with demons?" He raises an interrogative eyebrow.

I stiffen. "It's not what you think it is."

"Then humor us, Vera, and tell us what it is exactly."

"Contrary to what you think, she's in it to stop Lilith too."

The angel scoffs. "Monsters like her don't change. You always liked to stray away from what you were taught." He sniffs the air. "You reek of her odor. Did you sleep with her, too?"

I refuse to answer. But that seems like confirmation to Uriel. He hangs his head.

"I can understand why the Winchester boy did, his mind has been messed with. But you? She's gotten inside your head. That must be it. Or the Winchesters have. Or all three of them."

"You're going to kill me, aren't you?" I whisper. "Is this what this is all about?"

"I thought about it. I thought about calling you back to Heaven to put you through training again. But both options would be too nice of a punishment for you."

"Too nice?"

It feels like Uriel is tearing my soul in half. I want to resist; I want to keep my Grace. But his pull is stronger. I see the light wisps as it flows out of my nose and my mouth, pulling itself out of my pores. How can he do this?

"You're not worthy to have wings," he growls. "It's time you spent the rest of your days as a pathetic human since you want to get so close to them. You're free to do as you please. You're released from heavenly duty, not that you followed it in the first place. If you find yourself in our path, we won't give you any more passes. You will be just as big of a target as the demon you screwed."

I watch as my Grace settles into a small vial. The entity of what I am rests in that tiny thing. And Uriel stole it from me. What I wouldn't give to have my Grace back to show him not to mess with me.

In a flutter of feathers, they disappear, Uriel and his goons. I tear at the hair on my head. How dare they have the audacity to do this to me?! I know emotions aren't my strong suit, but right now, I feel a wild fire of anger blazing in my gut. I want to go after them, I want to get my Grace back. Good luck with that. They'll kill you if you so much as try. You're not immortal, Vera. You're human now. It's such a hard hit on my pride, to have my Grace stripped. It's the essence of who I am and what I am.