~IX~ - Halloween

~IX~ – Halloween

Even I don't believe what I'm hearing from Castiel and Uriel. Obliterate the town? Have they lost their minds?

I stare, gaping at my brethren.

"So this is your plan, you're gonna smite the whole friggin' town?" snaps Dean. He looks to me. "Are you in on this?"

"N-no," I stammer. "I swear!"

"We're out of time," Castiel says. "This witch has to die, the seal must be saved."

"I agree, but this is not the way to do it."

Castiel looks at me, blue meeting brown. We exchange silent words. I'm questioning him just as much as he's questioning me.

"There are a thousand people here," Sam protests.

"One thousand two hundred fourteen," Uriel corrects him.

"And you're willing to kill them all?"

"This isn't the first time I've...purified a city."

I shudder. Uriel isn't wrong. He has done this before. The death toll was scarring to hear.

"Look, I understand this is regrettable," Castiel begins.

"Regrettable?" Dean exclaims.

"We have to hold the line. Too many seals have broken already."

"So you screw the pooch on some seals and this town has to pay the price?"

"It's the lives of one thousand against the lives of six billion. There's a bigger picture here."

"Right, cause you're bigger picture kind of guys."

"Lucifer cannot rise. He does and Hell rises with him. Is that something that you're willing to risk?"

"We'll stop this witch before she summons anyone," Sam says persistently. "Your seal won't be broken and no one has to die."

"We're wasting time with these mud monkeys," Uriel says in irritation.

"I'm sorry," says Castiel, "but we have our orders."

"Whose orders?" I stammer.

Castiel looks at me. "You know."

"Frankly, I don't. If I did, I would be on your side. But...this...I'm sorry. I'm not." I wave my hands. "I can't."

"You can't do this," Sam pleas. "You're angels. I mean aren't you supposed to—You're supposed to show mercy."

"Says who?" asks Uriel.

"We have no choice," Castiel repeats.

"Of course you have a choice," Dean says. "I mean, come on, what? You've never questioned a crap order, huh? What are you both, just a couple of hammers?"

"Look, even if you can't understand it, have faith. The plan is just."

"How can you even say that?" asks Sam.

"Because it comes from Heaven, that makes it just."

If I was a good angel, I would believe that. But even I don't believe the crap that Castiel is spewing right now. It's the reason why I was frowned upon when I took up my training, because I always questioned my orders when they sounded wrong. I still do, even now, even after I've been told countless times that Heaven's way is the right way.