~XXVII~ - An MIA Angel

~XXVII~ – An MIA Angel

"Can't you just track her down with your angel mumbo jumbo?" Dean asks me.

"It's not 'mumbo jumbo', thank you very much," I tell him curtly. "I could try, but I'm not sure what's going on. It's like she's blocking my tracking somehow."

"Can angels do that?" asks Sam.

I purse my lips. "It's possible, but all the angels I've tried to find...they've never done it to me before."

Since I let Alona join our little group, she's been actively staying away for as much as possible. She's had little involvement with us, which is fine—I don't want to force her to be with us. But she sought refuge with us, so why would she just keep disappearing while she may have a suspected target on her back? It didn't make sense to me, and it still doesn't.

Bobby's place is practically the go-to relaxing place, except for Alona. Maybe hers is Heaven. She hasn't really spoken to me much since I repaid her debt for retrieving my Grace.

How grateful she is.

"Well, you can go try and find her," Sam tells me encouragingly. "We'll be good on our own for a bit. I mean, we've managed without angels before."

"Yes, and do you know how that turned out? You both, dead."

"Both resurrected, thank you very much," Dean retorts.

I narrow my eyes at him. "You made a deal to bring Sam back. That's a crappy resurrection."

"He still came back. Semantics."

I roll my eyes, looking between the brothers. "You're both absolutely sure that you'll be alright for a little bit?"

"Just go, Vera," Dean groans. "The world won't end if you go hunting for your angel pal."

"You kid, but it could happen."

"You have what you need with you?" Sam asks me.

"Angel blade." I pat my weapon. "My powers. I've got all that I'll need."

"Hey, if you get into trouble," Sam hands me something, "call us."

"A phone?" I stare at the device curiously.

"Yeah. Not that we think you'll need our help, but just in case we can't reach you the normal way that I do."

"Thank you." I tuck the device away in one of my pockets.

In a flash, I disappear from Bobby's place, landing myself near some shabby diner. I tilt my head curiously, stepping inside. I'm not sure what's pulled me to this place. Maybe my powers are whacking out.

That certainly isn't a good thing if they are.

I'm seated at a booth, and I'm sadly reminded that I can't taste food or drink anymore. It'll taste like molecules again. It's the one downside to being an angel—being unable to savor flavors that humans easily can.

"Vera?"

I pick my head up quickly enough to see Ruby sliding into the booth across the table. "Ruby?"

"You secretly stalking me?" She smirks. "What are you doing here? I see you've got your mojo back. Official angel business I can't know about?"