~XXXIII~ - Angel vs. Demon

~XXXIII~ – Angel vs. Demon

Nobody makes the first move right away. We watch each other, and I can't help but feel a little shattered inside. I'm peeved at myself for allowing a demon to get into my head and make me think that we were allies. That she played me all this time, and I had let my guard down.

I'm coming back, Sam. You may hate me for killing Ruby, but when I explain it to you, I know you'll forgive me. I know Dean will be ecstatic to know that she's dead. I will be too, even though it may hurt me a little to kill her.

After all, she's made an impression on me.

As soon as Ruby steps forward, like cats, we pounce for each other. We have some breathing room, the Holy Fire circle is bigger than I expect. Metal clashes against metal, and I put everything in my being into this fight. I have to. Ruby has given me no choice. It's either her or me, and I'll be damned if I let a demon walk out of here alive.

Initially, nobody gets a hit on their opponent. It's a mix of clashing weapons, dodges, blocks, and dancing away to avoid being sliced into by a very sharp blade.

Ruby gets the first strike: across my face. I hiss, reeling, off balance, towards the Holy Fire. I grimace, feeling the blood on the corner of my mouth.

"You're an angel?" she scoffs, rolling her shoulders. "I did a good job on you. I made you soft. You're not a warrior. What are you?"

"The angel who will kill you." I cry out, lunging for her. She elbows me in the face as I hit her in the gut. I hear her grunt, and I'm sure my blade got a small dig in her. Her head hits mine, and I'm launched onto my back. I roll to my left just as she tries to shove a knife in my neck. I need to end her, now. As I'm rising, Ruby hits me again, and this time, I can't save myself from the fire as it catches my face.

I scream in pain, kick away at her as I try to knock the fire out. I feel my vessel's flesh peeling off her one cheek. Using little Grace, I make sure to mend the wound. It's not healing as fast as I would like; my concentration is split right now.

"Not so powerful, are you?"

"You know, you talk a big game, Ruby," I state, swinging at her again. "Yet, I haven't seen any results from you."

"No results, huh? I slayed one of your friends," she sneers. "Here I am, about ready to kill another angel. Guess you made your kind nothing for me to fear."

"Give me the right time, and I'll make sure I put the fear of God into you." A hard blow to my face sends me reeling. I struggle as Ruby grabs my hair, forcing me to the ground.

"You talk way too much, Vera," she snaps. Using her free arm, she squeezes the one of mine that has the blade. I cry out, refusing to let go. I try even after I feel the snap of the bone.

Even for an angel, a bone breaking is very uncomfortable and painful.

"You're weak. Your kind must feel ashamed to call you one of them." She puts more pressure on the broken forearm, and with a loud cry, I'm forced to let go of the blade. I let the arm fall limp at my side but quickly use some Grace to start the healing process.

"I should kill you slowly," she mutters, drawing my own blade across my neck. The sting is white-hot, leaving a burning trail. "You know what? That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna take my time, I'm gonna make you beg for me to end you."

"Was any of it real?" I cough.

Instead of seeing Ruby's cold look in her eyes, I see a faint trace of remorse. Which I didn't think was possible considering the bitch is trying to kill me at the moment. "Parts were. Parts were with Sam, too. But then I remembered what my real purpose here is. That I had to do any means to get the victory. You and Sam, you're pawns."