Birthdays at work

Reese Pov

I see the clock say 5:30 am. I turn over and run my hand over the bed to see that it's empty. Rhodes must of left for his run before work. He always left early. We couldn't risk being seen together. At least not yet. We'd only been together a little under 3 months but it felt like years. Connor was different than any other guys I've dated. Today was a day I was not looking forward to. My birthday. I'm dreading my birthday. All I want is to stay home and see Connor but unfortunately we both have to work. And no one really knows about us dating so we can't see get cozy at work although we sometimes try to sneak off. I get ready and leave for work. I get in my car and head off to the hospital. Once there I compose myself​ to head in. Birthdays were never my thing growing up. I walk in and see the ED semi empty. I spot Maggie and walk up to her. "hey Maggie. Where is everyone?" I say. "Must be running late." She says with a smile. I go to put away my things in my locker and as I'm walking in they all shout "surprise Happy Birthday Reese". I scan the room to see Connor. I spot him and he give me wink. I can't help but smile. "awe thanks guys." I say heading to my locker. "we also got you that cake over there."Maggie says handing me the knife to cut it. I set my stuff down on the bench and go over to cut it for everyone. This is great cake my favorite chocolate. "alright back to work we've got incoming." Maggie says. I walk back to my locker and start to put my stuff away when I notice a little purple box. I open it slowly and get a big smile across my face. It's a bracelet engraved with 8:23 on it. I run my hand over the engraving remembering that day like it was yesterday. The exact time Connor and I met and became friends. I can't help but smile. I'm brought back to reality when I hear Connor walk behind me and whisper Happy Birthday and brushes his hand across my back as he leaves the room. I turn back to the gift put it on and read the note it that says Happy Birthday love see you tonight. I quietly whisper to myself I "love you too" and walk out to start work.