An Unexpected Visit

I walk into the ED after dropping off Taylor at daycare. "Hey Sarah" Maggie greets me at the front desk. "Hey Maggie" I say as I pass her. I head to the lounge and put my stuff away. As I open my locker something drops out of it. I see that it's an envelope with my name on it. I pick it up off the floor and open it. It reads "Hey beautiful hope you have a good day. Just wanted to leave you something special and say good morning. I'll see you and Tay later tonight. Love Con. PS love when you call me that." I smile at the note in my hand. I quickly shove it back in my locker when I hear someone open the door. "Morning Will" I say trying to hide my enormous smile. "Morning Sarah did you have a good day off yesterday?" He asks me. "I did thanks for asking." I say. "Do anything fun?" He asks. "Went out with family and friends" I say hoping he won't ask about my family I haven't told anyone but Connor of Tay yet. One day when I'm ready I'll tell them. "That's nice. Excuse me I have to take this. Yeah Will what's up. He did what again. Yeah. Tell dad to stay off the ladder I'll be there after work." I hear Will say on the phone as I'm heading out the door to start my shift. I'm hoping today goes easier than last time. At least I don't have​the new trainee today. I think Nat has her. It was a busy day I kept getting major patients like broken arm, broken legs, even a few car crash victims. My phone buzzed a few times but I was so busy I couldn't look at it. I finally was able to get a break. So I walked into the lounge to see check my voicemail. I see Connor sitting on the corner of the couch. We give each other a smile. I took my phone out and pressed the voicemail button. It was from Tay's daycare I could understand the message it was all broken up with screaming and crying kids. I immediately call them back but I can't get through. I try again it just keeps ringing. " dang it come on pick up pick up please" I say worried I see Connor stand up and come over to me " what's wrong?" he asks concerned " its Tays daycare I was so busy I missed three of their calls now I can't get through to them." I say on the verge of tears " hey it will be ok I promise" he says as he pulls me into a hug. Half way through the hug both our pagers go off. We separate and head out to the football. " what do we got Maggie" Connor asks " incoming from a daycare center. Multiple kids coming in with what seems to be the flu. Will be here in 10 let's get ready." She says. I give Connor a look of terror and I walk off. He follows. " hey it's going to be fine." He says " I'm not ready to tell them yet I cant but I guess I have to now. I'm a horrible mother for not picking up my phone." I say trying to hold back tears. "You're an amazing mother. Work was busy Tay will understand. Let's go get ready." He says to me. We walk back and I walk up to Maggie. "Maggie there will be a patient by the name of Taylor coming in. Connor and I would like to be the one treating her. Please I'll tell you everything later I promise." I say "alright she's all yours" Maggie says. It doesn't take long for the first set of kids to arrive. I await nervously for her to arrive. I see her being wheeled in by Dawson and Brett. "Mommy Mommy" she says as she sees me. "did she just say mommy" I over hear April say. I ignore it and take Tay to trauma 3. "looks like the case of bad flu whole class got sick. Vitals seem to be stable other than a fever of 102. Threw up a few time on the way over. She kept asking for mommy. But we don't know who that is." Dawson says. "don't worry about that will take care of it" I says to her as we transfer Tay and the paramedics leave. "Mommy my tummy hurts." Tay tells me with tears in her eyes. "we are going to help you. Me and Mr. Connor will make you feel all better. I promise. I say as I lean down and kiss her forehead. "let's get an IV of fluids in her and would you like some crackers " Connor asks. She nods yes "and some crackers for the little munchkin." Connor tells nurse Grace. " yes doctor" she says as she starts the IV and heads out to get crackers. I'm about to leave to check on another patient but Tay grabs my hand. "Mommy you stay" she cries. "alright I can stay for a bit" I say as I lay on the bed next to her. "I'll take care of everything out there don't worry you stay with Tay"..Connor says to me as he squeezes my hand then walks out. Tay and I are on the bed when the nurse comes back in with the crackers. " thanks" I say to her. Tay manages to eat a few of the crackers . "Mommy I wanna go home." She cries "I know sweetheart but this is the best place for you right now." I say as I rub her back. "Mommy I wanna watch TV can Mr Connor watch TV with us.?" She asks me "Honey he's busy with work right now but I promise he'll be back to check on you." I say " mommy bucket" she moans I quickly grab the bucket and she throws up in it. I'm getting worried she's getting worse. I don't know if it's my mommy or doctor instincts that kick in but I take her temperature again. It spiked. I run out of the room "Connor!!" I yell to him. He rushes over to me "what's wrong?" he asks "h..her temperature shot up to 105" I cry."Nurse, give me ice packs I wanna pack her in cold to try and get her fever down. I also wanna get here on antibiotics see if that will help as well." Connor tells nurse Grace. "Yes ill get that started right away" she says. Connor and I walk into the room and over to Tay "hey sweetheart were gonna make you feel all better." Connor says as the nurse packs her in ice packs. Tay falls asleep minutes after she's packed with ice. I start crying and go sit on the chair next to her bed. Connor was still in the room and walks over to me. My hands are barred in my face. " hey hey look at me" he says as he takes one of his hands and tilts my chin up so I'm looking at him. She's going to be fine you know that. She's a fighter, She will get through this, and so will you. I will be here with you every step of the way." Connor says resting his other hand on my knee "I just wi... I just wish I could take the pain for her." I say with tears. "Hey love, come here" he says as he pulls me up off the chair and into a hug. I silently cry into his shoulders as he gently kisses my head.

AN: Hope you enjoyed this story with Taylor in it.  I will try and update sometime over the weekend. At least I hope to. Please feel Free to vote and comment.