Chapter 4 - Prey

"Mistress, here is the bucket of water" Mu Jin returned with sweats forming at her fair forehead.

I sweep a glance at her wrist that she is trying to hide, cold and killing intent surrounds me. "Who inflect the injury at your wrist?" my voice is like a snowstorm, so cold, low and dangerous.

Mu Jin cant help but be dumbstruck.

Her mistress  commanding voice cannot be disobeyed; an overbearing aura. Kneeling; she said with a voice that full of respect. "Mistress, nubi doesn't deserve your pity. Nubi wouldn't mind getting hurt as long as mistress is not bullied again..." Her eyes full of resolute.

I know there is something fishy with these two maids. They may be weak on the outside but I can sense that they are not ordinary people.

"Mu Jin, Are you questioning my authority? Tell me who is it. Whether i know or not... it would not change anything..." I tried to coax her, because I must know who the people I must repay were. My eyes glint dangerously. This kind of feeling… I know when I am excited to catch a prey.

"Nubi doesn't dare" she hesitated for a moment "Mistress this injury was inflected by the 2nd Miss Su Bai Lu. On my way back here 2nd Miss punished nubi for neglecting mistress. "Her head sunk lower and I can hear self-blame in her voice.

I smiled but not quite a smile.

"Pretending to be a gentle and virtuous lady? Humph Using my misfortune to make her reputation better..." I snorted with my eyes full of contempt. "You must not blame yourself, this occurred when I was not around... Since Yun Qing ordered you to go outside, such a COINCIDENCE..."  I said with more pressure on the last word.  They really are mother and daughter, such a perfect pair.

"Mu Jin, leave the bucket of water and accompany Ji Zan outside to guard my courtyard Ohhh… Right, Do we have a stock of silver needles? " I ask calmly.

The first thing to do is to get rid of the poison inside this body. I studied the vital parts and discover that this is a slow acting poison. It really is a coincidence that the reaction will be on my wedding day. Such wicked people. But who and why? It seems not only did my family want me dead but also some outsiders. Yun Qing loathes me, but she doesn't have knowledge of medicines; especially poison. The other concubines are all low birth.

Well I can focus to them later but the more important is to recover immediately…

Mu Jin is surprised to hear that I was looking for silver needles, but immediately she calm herself and answer smilingly "Mistress we dont have a stock of silver needles but nubi remembered that there are acupuncture needles stored in your dowry left behind by big madam..."

"Hmmmmm  Then please bring them here immediately." I ask but my mind is further away. I only ask for silver needles but she offers me acupuncture needles? These two maids are really not simple; they are hiding something from me. But i can't feel any negative emotions.

And my mother prepared an acupuncture needles?

The original host doesn't have any memories of her mother. When she was only 1 year old her mother met an accident and they never found her body...Very suspicious.

While pondering the mystery of my mother, Mu Jin interrupts me and placed before me the most exquisite gold box I had ever seen. There are engravings of a dragon and a phoenix.

"Nubi specifically hid it mistress... Big madam said on the day you are looking for silver needles, I should present this gift and may it help you in great ways..." Her voice is full of respect and extreme joy reflected in her two almonds eyes.