Chapter 17

Deva felt something holding her down, and when she opened her eyes she was still in Darius' arms. He did not leave during the night like she thought he would. She gently lifted his arm from around her waist and quietly got out of bed. He didn't wake or stir. She needed some air and space away from things, from him. She tip toed to the door grabbing a sweater to cover the dress she was still wearing from the party and silently walked out without him noticing. She didn't have time to change.

Walking barefoot through the halls Deva felt like she could finally relax. The events from the night before were fresh in her head; they haunted her. She found herself in front of the fountain in the gardens. The orange sun was barely rising.

She sat on the bench swinging and hugging her knees to her chest. She didn't know how long she was out there for, but soon the sun was high in the sky, and the gardeners were out and about.

"Oh my lady, I've been looking everywhere for you." She heard a frantic Amy say a short ways away. "The Queen requests the presence of all the ladies."

"Alright," Deva hesitantly stood, but Amy handed her heels before getting the chance to go.

"The Queen wants every girl to wear heels. You are to have a dance lesson today."

"Thank you Amy. I really appreciate it."

She sweetly smiled. "It's been my pleasure my lady."

They began heading towards the castle's back entrance when Amy opened her mouth again. "Prince Darius was in your room last time I checked."

"Then perhaps you can get him out before I return."

"Yes of course my lady." There was an eerie sound in her voice that made Deva turn to her, but Amy was already out of sight.

She brushed it off. Her mind was in so many places that nothing seemed right anymore. Deva nodded to Jeffery politely. He opened the doors to the ball room and as always she was late.

The Queen took one look at Deva's attire and grimaced. Deva had a suspicion that perhaps the Queen didn't like her as much as the others.

"Good. Now that everyone is here, I would like to begin. In a few days, the kingdom will hold a grand ball but not just any ball, a masquerade. You ladies will be the center of entertainment. That is why you are here today. You will be learning to dance the dance of the old days, a traditional group dance that was often danced by the royals of the court."

Some of the girls' faces lit up with excitement.

"And to help us out today are a few of the party guests from last night."

Coming in from the left side of the room were five handsome vampire men that Deva had been introduced to. Max and Ryan were among them. Max glistened when he spotted her.

"Now pick your partners please." The Queen said in a rushed tone.

"Will you be my partner?" Max asked in a childlike tone.