Chapter 34

Deva could not comprehend the events circling about the castle. The tension that clouded each room the lycan was in was unavoidable. King Asher stayed far away or busied himself so that he may never bump into their guest.

Deva was beginning to miss Lucian. He reported back with brief visits. So far his quest was a dead-end. Something on the back of her mind made her question the King's real intentions for scouting the kingdom. She wanted to demand answers from him, after all she would be his Queen one day.

The King's door to his study was already opened ajar when Deva entered the room. There were thick ancient gold inscribed books stacked upon his desk. Two of them were spiraled open and she found herself leaning over to see what they were about.

She heard a throat clearing and quickly straightened her posture before turning to face what she assumed could only be the King. He fiddled with his tie and unbuttoned his suit jacket in order to take his seat behind the desk.

"Deva, what a pleasant surprise."

"Is it?" She was getting a sketchy vibe from him and couldn't fully trust anything he said.

He gestured to the seat directly in front of him. "Please by all means sit with me."

She did as he said to get the ball rolling.

"Now," he asked pouring himself a cup of brandy then handing her one in the process. "What is it you want to talk about?"

Her first reaction was to take a sip of the brandy. "It's about the lycans." His facial expression didn't alter so she continued. "I was curious if you ever killed the alpha, Adamarius' father."

The King placed his half full cup back on the table as if the word lycan didn't bother him. "No we didn't. There were so many but I know for sure that I didn't see his face among them."

"Is that why you sent Lucian back out there? You think that if this mutt is still alive that possibly the father is too?"

"You shouldn't medal into affairs that don't concern you?"

Would he always treat her like a little girl? If this was his intention on how to guide their future Queen then why choose her?

Deva was getting frustrated with their attempts on shoving her to the side and claiming it was for her protection.

"This affair does concern me like anything else that is whispered in this castle." Deva rose to her feet. She felt like the height gave her a bit more leverage. "Have you forgotten I was chosen to be queen one day? Oh no. I'm sure you haven't. I'm quite certain that fact runs through your mind all the time."

King Asher tilted his head and observed her raw disrespect with a firm tight jaw.

Deva could feel the tension of his anger as every muscle in his body stiffened. He was keeping most of his aggression locked away but she knew he hated being undermined. He was exactly like his son Darius in that way of authority.

"You're right princess. One day this," he motioned to everything surrounding them, "will all belong to you and whoever you choose as your king."

His eyes cruelly judged her.

"Have you even thought about that yet? Well really you only have one obvious answer because we both know you wouldn't dare separate your dear friend Julia and Marcus."

Marriage was the last thing on her mind. Why did she have to have a deadline? Picking her husband shouldn't be taken lightly. Deva expected to at least love the man she was going to marry.