Chapter 47

The rapid banging on the door was loud enough to wake up the entire kingdom.

"Darius, open the door! I can't find Deva!" Izzy barged in breaking the lock in hysteria. "Do you know where she might...be?"

Her eyes caught the glimpse of Deva in Darius' arms and suddenly felt duped like she should have known all along where to search first.

"She's still sleeping. What do you want?" He was amazed Izzy's noisy entrance didn't wake her up.

"King Derick has invited her to his kingdom."

Darius found it odd. King Derick never showed any interest in any other kingdoms before. He stuck to his own affairs. He wasn't even considered a friend of the family just an ally to their kingdom. Darius wasn't even sure if he and his father were on good terms.

What could he possibly want?

"Why?"

Izzy seemed perplexed herself. "I'm not sure but you know as well as I she can't refuse to go."

"I'll go with her." He volunteered.

"You can't. He wants her to come alone or at least with no other royal family member."

"No," he wasn't going to send her off to a foreign country alone. "He can't be serious."

"Calm down. You know he won't do anything to her. He was grandfather's best friend. He took you in for a few years. You know him better than any of us. Do you really think he'll hurt her?"

His gut knew the answer. "Of course not."

It wasn't King Derick he was concerned about. Deva was in a fragile state.

Deva stirred but only to tighten her hold on him. "Why are you awake right now and talking so loud?"

"Because it's midday." Izzy walked to the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Sleepy. Go away."

"Deva-"

"Izzy let her rest. Derick can wait a little longer." Darius defended his poor Queen.

"Who is Derick?" Her curiosity was only partially sparked.

"He's as stiff as stone. He's the oldest King of all four kingdoms."

Deva shook her head, refusing to open her eyes. "That doesn't help me. What does he look like? I need a visual."

"Oh. He looks young, in his thirties. Black thick hair parted on the left side. He's literally the hottest Asian man I have ever laid my eyes on."

Deva quickly whipped her head up. "That guy?" How could she not remember?

He was, as Izzy put it, the hottest Asian she had laid eyes on. He wore a smaller king's crown at the last ball as if hoping no one would notice it on his head.

Darius' brow rose. "So you remember him?"

Deva rubbed her eyes then stretched to pop her locked bones. "Yup."

"He's requesting your presence at his palace."

"What an honor." Deva had no reason not to go; she welcomed the excuse to leave her own kingdom.

Izzy smiled, relieved with her compliance. "I've set out some clothes for you to wear. Take a shower and get going. He asked for you a while ago."

"Thanks." But before she could roll out of bed Darius stopped her from even attempting.

Izzy stepped out to give them a moment.