Chapter 55

The castle felt like a new home to Adamarius. The large Greek pillars were not the traditional white but a grey, almost black marble. They lined the massive hallways and important rooms. It was as though the entire castle was remodeled. The majority of the sculpted trims and moldings painted the history and beauty of their kingdom. Marvelous wolves, heroic vampires, and yet also the pain and suffrage were not left out of the vivid picture.

Shimmering silver dust highlighted the carved images in the marble giving it a subtle contrast.

His own footsteps were accompanied by two other pair as he turned the corner. They echoed in the large corridor. Adamarius understood why he had extra security tailing him. His brothers were still uncertain about his intentions. He couldn't necessarily blame them. He had been away a very long time. He was somewhat of a stranger to them not realizing that for Adamarius time away from the vampire world was paused.

It was frozen time of blurred, agonizing torture. He woke every morning with a hunger he could never satisfy; with a yearning he could never quench. His mind during those days was a prison cell. He held himself together for Kaia's sake. She was his dearest friend and everyday for ten years she did her best to fill the creases of his shattered soul. But he himself not knowing why his heart and soul were in such despair to begin with.

Now it made sense. His body knew the feeling of holding his soulmate and missed her. His lycan mourned the loss of losing Deva. There were lost pieces and deep down he knew it. Kaia managed to distract him, to lessen the pain. They traveled, spent nights at the grandest hotels, and lived like royals, but the feeling of loss was still inside of him.

Kaia was a witch and undoubtedly used whatever spell she could to numb Adamarius from the reality but it wasn't enough. It was all a facade and he saw it for what it was, even then.

She could never replace Deva.

Although the past flooded back to him, time before he left, it didn't feel the same. Ever since getting his memory back nothing truly felt recognizable. As if the pieces weren't altogether complete. The massive differences around the castle did not help him jog whatever memories he thought he was searching for.

Even the conference room where meetings were held with the council was transformed into a strong representation of their new dynasty. It was a mosaic of Darius' favorite blues.

The long narrow table was already occupying 30 something people.

Adamarius composed himself sitting next to the King and in front of the vampire and lycan council. He had his family's support but the council saw Adamarius as a complication, or rather an unknown.

"We should have discussed his coming home before announcing it to the public." Zander was a liberal, military veteran vampire with enough worry for the entire kingdom. His passion derived from his unyielding love for his country.

"What difference would it have made? Adamarius is staying here with us, his family." Izzy defended her choice to out him as soon as possible. "This way rumors can't circulate. We need the people's trust."

"How are the lycans taking the news of his return?" Deva was anxious to see if their plan worked. Could the lycans relate to Adamarius' situation and understand the pain of losing her to his brother was too much?

Ofelia, the oldest living lycan to join their council, heard the whispers of her people. She was well respected and had ears everywhere.

Adamarius remembered her.

"Many accept Adamarius' reason for leaving. Many already have soulmates and can understand the pain. It was a brave thing to talk about." Ofelia tilted her head in Adamarius' direction. "It was a brave thing to do, to leave."