Chapter 51

It was getting dark yet she didn't want to move or go back. She liked looking up at the night sky full of pink and purple clouds when it slowly transcends to black.

It was a normal day even though she was sure her sixteenth birthday was supposed to feel a lot different than the rest. It didn't.

Deva wandered down the street to the small playground only a few blocks from her house. Swinging herself on the swing was not a new thing for her. She found it calming and a great place to think, away from the difficulties of life.

The faint sound of a twig snapping alerted her to the visitor approaching.

Thinking it was her brother Deva was surprised when a tall hooded figure was leaning against the swinging pole, far too casually. His buff arms were crossed over his chest and even though she couldn't see his eyes she could definitely feel his heated stare.

"You know drooling is not an attractive quality," she said gluing her eyes back to the magnificent view of the moon.

He held in a chuckle. "Are you sure?"

"Not unless you're a dog. Or do you prefer being called mutt instead," she giggled to herself.

He shook his head and chuckled along with her. There was a small pause afterwards.

"You shouldn't be out here alone," his deep sultry voice echoed in the wind. "The night is filled with dangerous things."

"Says the hooded man," she pointed out the irony. "Then perhaps you should go home before you get raped by one of those dangerous things." She couldn't help her tongue; it had a mind of its own.

"But then who would protect you?"

She smirked. "My vampire boyfriend...Douglass." It so happened she had finished reading a vampire book recently and couldn't get the damned creatures out of her mind.

The man laughed and shook his head while taking a step closer to her. "Vampires aren't that reliable."

His mesmerizing green, gold eyes were dancing with mischief and intrigue.

Deva was completely blown away by how perfectly drop dead gorgeous he was, like he was straight out of a GQ magazine. His sharp defined jaw line had sprinkles of hair covering it but it was all the more attractive when his lips curved into a handsome smirk. He couldn't be more than 25 years old.

She stopped swinging. "What's your name?"

Deva had never seen him before because she was positive without a doubt that she would never forget a face like his.

"You," he said locking his gaze with hers, "can call me Marius."

Her silence was the cause of curiosity. What was a man like him doing out at night? Was he a psycho-killer or something?

"Why are you out here?" His warm tone made her think otherwise. He looked entirely interested and somewhat concerned.

She turned and gazed up at the sky again. "To think."

"About?"

Did it matter if she told a stranger? Would she ever meet this handsome stranger ever again? Probably not. Deva got up off the swing and started to pace. How was she going to word this; this thing that she had never told anyone before?

"I'm not normal," she took a deep breath after the confession. "I'm not like everyone else. I don't know how to describe it...but I can feel it. I think differently; I act differently." Deva ran her fingers through her scalp.