Chapter 37

Deva was relieved and oddly grateful Adamarius hadn't told anyone of her secret. She figured he was waiting for the most opportune time to use it against her. Whatever the reason she didn't trust him regardless but she had no choice.

The sun was in the sky when she finally decided to join the others on the back patio. The usual people were there; Marcus, Julia, Izzy, even Max, but when Deva saw the impression of fizzy red hair she immediately regretted her decision.

Watching Red coon over Darius was definitely not on her list of enjoyable activities. She couldn't let it control her. Her emotions were too dominate. It was time for her boss up and harden her heart.

"Deva," Julia spoke enthusiastically. The thrill in her best friend's voice made Deva feel guilty for not spending as much time with her as she used to.

"Juls," Deva walked over to hug her.

Darius let his eyes cascade down her body. He could never truly express how much he missed her.

"Deva you look lovely today." Izzy intruded.

"So do you. Hello Max. It's good to see you again."

Max gave her a dashing smile and returned the greeting. "And you my Queen."

"Oh no. Not yet. You don't have to suck up to me just yet."

Marcus stood up and motioned for her to take his seat so that she could sit in between him and Julia. Deva made a note to thank him because the only other available seat was next to Red.

"Thank you Marcus," Deva took the seat as Marcus leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"It was no problem love."

Adamarius was more vigilant around her lately. His smirking had actually turned into a flirtation.

"So you're the future queen?" Red's bothersome voice broke through the air.

Deva didn't want to waste her breath, she merely nodded. Red knew that bit of information. She was bringing it up to aggravate her. Red concealed a cricked smile underneath her hand.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing."

Deva had no willingness to endure more lies. It seemed like everyone was trying to sugarcoat things for her.

"What were you insinuating?" Red would be the only one stupid enough to insult her.

"How unfortunate for the kingdom." Red swallowed her tongue, startled by her own statement like she didn't mean to say it out loud.

"No, how unfortunate for you."

There was no way Deva was going to let Red live her life in blissful peace. Darius was faking it with her. He had to make her complacent so she could remain healthy for their baby.

Deva promised to go easy on her for Darius but once the baby was out Deva was going to show little Red just how powerful she was. Deva also felt responsible for creating the monster. She had picked on Red from the very beginning.

It was mostly her fault they were so nasty and cruel to each other.

"I seem to have lost my appetite."

The reality was she had no future with Darius. She was supposed to let him go so he could move on. So they could both move on. Why couldn't she just let him go?

She had to find a way.

Julia quickly grabbed her wrist before she could walk off. "Where are you going? You just got here."