Chapter 22

It was the night before the talent show and Deva still wasn't sure what song she was going to playing. Her unhealthy obsession of worry for Darius had taken up most of her thoughts. It had been two long days since Darius left to meet up with his brothers; two long torturous days of mental anguish.

These were questions swarming in her head like a disease; a disease weakening her body and mind. She needed a cure and that cure was Darius. Just a glimpse of his face was all she needed to sooth away her unethical desire for resolution. She often wondered if he too felt the same way; in a constant fixation with her well-being.

She wanted to hate herself but was it so bad to care for someone like Darius? Surrendering to her emotions meant giving him free reign over her heart. Was she willing to submit that kind of power to him?

"Not yet," she declared.

It was late and everyone was asleep. She wandered down the dark empty halls and for some reason felt a strange presence about. Like someone was watching her.

She turned every once in a while, but of course no one was there. It was all in her head, but then again she was in a castle full of sneaky vampires. That thought creeped her out even more. She practically ran the rest of the way to her room; shutting the door quickly and placing her head against it.

She heard a sound come from the other side of the room. Her eyes fly up and found a tall dark shadow figure looming over. He took a step forward and the dim light from the lamp on her nightstand cast a glow to his familiar face. She exhaled the breath she didn't realize she was holding.

"Loosh," she flung herself into his arms.

She was grateful for his presence. It meant he was alive; it meant that no longer did she have to suffer nights of no sleep over worry.

"I've missed you," he breathed into her hair. "I couldn't wait to see you."

"I've missed you too. I'm even willing to forgive you for scaring me."

She pushed back to examine his face. His eyes were strangely clouded and distant.

He chuckled. "I'm sorry baby. I didn't mean to scare you, honestly." His gentle touch consoled the creases across her face.

"I forgive you. So you're back for good then?"

He affirmed with a nod. "Yes. We finished what had to be done."

"What had to be done?"

If it were any other girl or person Lucian wouldn't even consider answering, but it was Deva who was asking.

"The villagers were right. We found one lycan in the woods who was hiding in the caves."

"What did you do to him?"

"We captured it and brought it back to the lab for testing."

She scrunched her nose. The idea of any creature being tested on repulsed her. "Like a lab rat?"

"Yes baby. It wasn't our intention at first but the lycan was attacking people. It couldn't even phase back into human form. We're going to help it."

He wouldn't even acknowledge its sex. Lucian continued to address it as an object.

"I'm just glad you all are back and safe." She emphasized the 'all'.

"We promised we'd be but I'll admit your worry is quite flattering." He tightened their embrace. The gentleness and warmth of her arms let him forget his past quandary.

"Is it?"

As she detached herself from him she noticed his somber expression. Something felt wrong. Her fingertips brushed against his cheek as if it could erase the haunting thoughts causing his perplexing affliction.