Chapter 39

Sitting at the breakfast table Deva concentrated on her food rather than the heated stare from Adamarius. The intensity of him in general was giving her anxiety.

"So my birthday is coming up?" Izzy struck up a new topic of conversation.

Deva could use the distraction. "Really?"

Izzy pursed her lips and groaned, "Yes and mother insists we make a big deal out of it."

Marcus' eyebrows rose in surprise. "Do you really want everyone to know you're turning 424 years old?"

Deva smacked Marcus' shoulder. "That's not very old at all?" She tried to sound as convincing as possible.

Izzy laughed. "It's alright Deva. You'll be that age too one day."

The thought began to haunt her. To live 424 years was definitely something to wonder about. It was an extremely long time, almost unfathomable to her. The more Deva thought the more she questioned her choice of existence. Did she really want to live that long?

"I don't typically celebrate my birthday but this year mother wants to make a spectacle of me. She usually tries to hide me from the rest of the world. I don't know what changed her mind. I don't mind being invisible."

"I can totally volunteer to kidnap you. I'd love to get out of here for a few days, years maybe." Deva wished that was an option.

"And maybe that would have worked if you didn't have three over protective princes already on your tail."

Deva frowned but was thrilled that the great distraction would take the light off of her for once.

"What about the dog? Do we put it out for the night?" Darius' sarcastic remark was accompanied by a smirk.

"The guests will talk. Adamarius looks exactly like us. They'll want to know who he is."

"Then it's about time we tell them." The Queen graced her children with her presence at the table.

The sun beating down on her only brightened the warming smile on her face. Every time she glanced as her newly found son nothing could bring down her luminous joy.

"It can also be his coming out party." Izzy was willing to compromise.

"Is that wise?" Marcus knew his father wouldn't agree with the idea and if he was there he would have voiced his own opinions.

"It's about time society knew beside the council seems to have accepted him."

The princes remained silent not wanting to push their mother or question her authority. After all it was only a matter of time till the world would find out about the scandal surrounding the royal family.

"You know the best part about parties is the shopping. I need a new outfit. Julia and I are going to the mall later today after her date. Want to come with us Deva?"

Deva swallowed. She wasn't too sure she could be in the company of humans. The nightmare of tearing Evie to pieces was just too much of a high risk possibility for any human around her. Deva would never be able to forgive herself if she hurt her best friend.

She was in a sense very relieved that her new situation meant no humans around her because that especially meant Red. Not seeing her was the best part of the whole predicament.

"No Iz. I don't think I can handle being around her just yet."

Izzy understood all too well. "I'm so sorry. I didn't think about that."