Chapter 58

On his way to his own bedroom Darius found himself heading towards his son room. It was a habit to check on him every night before thinking about sleep, no matter how long the day. It was a grueling day of back to back meetings. The Relic moon was close and everyone was anxious about. It was easy for a king to put on a brave face but deep down Darius was petrified, mostly for his wife.

It would be different for her than the rest.

In the midst of it all the lycans had a tradition for the rare hybrid eclipse. They considered canceling but the feast meant something more to them. It was a night where the women run off into the woods leaving the men to find their mates in utter darkness.

It was a tradition that signified that no matter what soulmates were bound to find each other. This year Adamarius would be amongst them. Darius wasn't sure how he should feel about it. Deva was his soulmate. Nothing, not even he, could break their bond.

He knew that marrying her and yet it never stopped him. Deva was also his soulmate. He couldn't live without her. And if that meant Adamarius too then he would accept it. He would have to.

It was midnight and Alcide should have been sound asleep. Magnus lay beside his bed, wake and alert. The gorgeous wolf cocked its head to the side to spot the intruder but he already knew it was Darius.

Alcide's little body was wrestling with the sheets, restlessly.

He began to mumble feverishly. "Momma momma. Momma!"

Darius pulled him into his arms, hoping to wake him from whatever nightmare he was having.

"Shhhh it's ok Alcide," he rocked back and forth. "Dreams can't hurt you."

"Dad, daddy. Where's momma?" His big brown eyes opened scared and worried.

"She's sleeping Alcide. What is it? What did you dream about?" If anyone could understand and interoperate dreams it would be Darius. 

Thick brown curls shook with his head. "I don't have dreams anymore. I had a bad feeling."

"About momma?"

He nodded his little head into Darius stomach.

"I promise momma is just fine." Darius cradled him in his arms. "Want me to tell you the story about how I met your mother?"

Alcide couldn't contain his excitement. "Yes! Yes!" He had never heard it before. Either he was too young or he didn't much bother to ask.

"Close your eyes." Darius painted the pictures from memory.

Deva was youthful, beautiful, and stubborn. Mischief followed her wherever she went. Alcide was seeing his mother in a different light; one other than the strict figure she was now.

He enjoyed the memories just as much as Darius did reliving them.

"Momma isn't going anywhere." Darius vowed pulling them both back to reality.

His big brown eyes imprisoned him. "Promise?"

Darius nodded. It was a promise he would die to keep. "Try to sleep and when you wake up you can help me train the soldiers."

Alcide fell asleep in his father's arms within minutes. Darius didn't have the heart to leave his son.  He cradled him closer to his chest and got comfortable in the smaller than usual bed.

By morning his men where already gathered in the courtyard waiting for instructions. Marcus and Adamarius were among them, in the front of the lines. Alcide raced to his uncles and Marcus flung his nephew into the air as soon as he reached them.

Alcide's melodious laugh grew louder with every toss he endured.

Adamarius stood strong and extremely tall amongst the men. He was built like an oxen. Most lycans were born with broaden shoulders but Adamarius wasn't like the rest. He was an Alpha by blood. He exuded more than just dominance.