Chapter 18

The hot air from the blazing sun was slowly being covered by the grey clouds coming in. It was a beautiful day, and interestingly enough, all the girls were escorted into a long black sleek hummer limousine.

Today was a big day for the kingdom. It was time for the people to meet the potential queens. It was also considered a challenge for them since the nation would pick sides of who they thought would fit the role of future queen. The royal family invited the press to release a few statements about the new potential queens.

They were taken to an office building made of tinted glass where a large stage was set up at the entrance of the building. A massive crowd gathered as the press with their cameras occupied the front rows. The girls each had a security guard on their heels for protection. The camera flashes went wild as they got closer to the stage. They were directed to the roll of chairs to await the arrival of the royal family.

The crowd of faces criticized their posture, their mannerism, and their appearance. Some gazes were hard, cold, and ruthless while others were curious and moderately kind. Deva was feeling sick to her stomach with anxiety as she imagined all the girls were.

Lucian walked up to the podium making the whole crowd go silent. "Ladies and gentlemen, good evening."

His voice was soft but fueled with authority.

"We understand the curiousness going on about the kingdom and have come to the conclusion that perhaps it is time to introduce you to the potential women that may one day be your queen. So you may either ask us, your princes, or any of the beautiful ladies standing up here any questions you like."

The crowd buzzed with whispers again and hands flew up into the air. Lucian pointed to a man towards the center.

"My prince," the blond man started, "I am eternally grateful that your royal highnesses have taken the time to answer the questions of your curious subjects, but my question I promise is a simple one. Why go with a human as a queen?"

Lucian looked like he wanted to laugh but instead replied ever so calmly, "Were we not all humans at one point?"

"Yes I suppose but-"

The man was cut off by a woman in a business suit only a few feet away from where the blond was standing. "Was a female vampire not good enough for you, my princes?"

The woman with long straight black hair challenged the prince with her eyes. It was then that Darius took it upon himself to answer the woman.

"We do not wish to disrespect any female of our kind in any way. It was never the question of being good enough. It is simply destiny that we choose a human as our future queen."

"It is all part of the prophecy," Lucian included.

Another man raised his voice over the others. "A prophecy, my prince?"

It seemed to be unheard of news for the crowd. Deva herself had always wondered what exactly this prophecy was about. She leaned closer instinctively to hear better and make sure she didn't miss a word.

"Yes. It was told many years ago that when the time came for one of us to take over the throne that a woman from another world would be made queen in order to choose one of us as king. It was said that the future queen would split the kingdom, but in the end bring back all that were lost," Lucian finished.

Deva took in what he said and ignored the rest of the chatter that continued to buzz around her. Who exactly gave them that information, and why did the royals trust them? Deva was never one for prophecies. She believed in fate and destiny, but when it came to someone saying or 'predicting' what was to come she ignored it.