Chapter 27

Darius woke up with a squirming Deva in his arms. With his eyes closed he felt her hands brush over his face. She was tracing over his features. He stayed as frozen as a statue to indulge her curiosity. She continued to shower him in pleasurable tingles. Every stroke upon his face awoke his senses.

"Are you alright?" He opened his tired eyes to see her troubled face.

"I can't sleep."

He raised his hand to cup her face, and she shut her eyes to his touch. "What is on your mind sweetheart?"

Her deep brown eyes never looked so conflicted before. "Loosh and Nick," she paused. "They were easy to understand. I could read them, and I liked it that way because I was safe. With you, everything is so different. I never thought I could feel this way."

He cherished these moments. Deva rarely ever opened up to him but when she did it took his breath away.

"I tried so hard. I built these walls because I know what it's like to lose someone. I'm not saying you're going anywhere but why do I get this? Why do I get to be happy with you?"

He pulled her defenseless body within his eager warm arms. She was beating herself up over Nicholas again.

"Why can't monsters be happy?"

"Because we need to atone for our sins."

He began kissing her knuckles and palm. "We have to atone alone?"

Happiness was a gift she didn't deserve. "No."

"Eventually our sins get forgiven."

"I didn't know you were religious."

Lately he had a lot of things to be thankful for. "I haven't always been. Are you not?"

"If vampires, lycans, and witches exist why can't God? I don't think he's happy with me though."

"He's supposed to be a merciful God. Ask for forgiveness and he shall give it to you."

She enjoyed the spiritual side of him. "You really believe that."

Darius nodded, kissing her neck. "I forgive you."

She remained embraced in his love until a knock on the door forced them to face the outside world.

Deva stretched out her limbs as Amy walked in carrying a tray of food inside. Amy smiled towards the prince, but it quickly faded when she spotted Deva coiled in the bed sheets.

"I'm sorry my lady. I did not know you were here. I only brought food for the prince." Amy dropped her gaze to conceal what seemed like shame.

"It's fine Amy. I'll share my food." Darius wound his arms around Deva's body, and he placed his chin on her shoulder once she was up. "Besides she's a tiny human anyway. How much could she eat?"

"You'd be surprised." Deva corrected only making him chuckle.

"I like surprises. Have anymore?" He playfully tickled her side making her jerk away with a laugh.

Amy awkwardly stood there watching them exchange romantic, flirtatious gestures.

"That will be all Amy." Darius spoke before he completely forgot she was present.

Amy darted for the exit like her life depended on it. Deva was betting Amy had a crush on Darius. In the long run it didn't even matter.

They ate their breakfast in silence. Words were not needed to communicate. Love struck glances and playful back and forth brushes of their fingers sufficed. It was an opening for a deeper sort of reception.