Ch. 31 The Origin

Deva's eyes fluttered open from their heavy trance. She felt a little dizzy yet quite energized; something she hadn't felt in a long time. The first thing her eyes caught was the worried faces of her friends and family. It was a repetitive situation for her. Their concern hung over her like a blanket wrung around her neck.

All she truly wanted was for the worry to decease. She hated the drama and everything in between.

"How are you feeling my dear?" The Queen came around her bed clad in black.

"Peachy."

The Queen explained, "Darius' blood healed you so we didn't have to turn you into a vampire yet. It took a few minutes to heal but eventually it did the job."

Darius' blood saved her. Wasn't that ironic? The world had such a way in entwining every aspect from impossible to possible. How they were linked together was beyond explanation. It couldn't be more than chance. Every opportunity of Deva and Darius having their happily ever after had disintegrated with the notion of him fathering Red's child.

Deva scoured the room for his face. He was standing towards the back behind Izzy's sitting form. Even in the darkly lit room she could still clearly see the love and instinctive protection he held for her. Darius' eyes were locked in place, watching over her. There was no telling how long he had been there guarding her.

Deva hated the sad ripples etched on his face. Those worried lines were for her.

"Thank you Darius."

"I would do anything for you...my Queen." Even my life he silently thought.

She dropped her head back into her pillow. "Where is she?"

Izzy answered. "Amy is being held for questioning. Apparently she was paid by someone to kill you. We're still trying to figure out who."

"She will be dealt with soon." The King spoke with assurance.

Deva wasn't worried; she was pissed. Amy had a death wish on her head the moment she raised a finger to harm Deva. Deva wanted an explanation.

"Can I be alone? Please."

Everyone cleared out, respecting her wishes, but Darius. He remained stuck in place, acting as if losing sight of her now meant losing her forever.

She got out of bed and he raced towards her. He kissed her without permission or clarity. She understood the necessity he had to hold her, to touch her. Love had cost him his sanity. She was his weakness.

"I almost lost you." He trembled.

She embraced his hands to abolish his fear. "You saved me."

"Deva I-" He couldn't imagine life without her.

"I know." She kissed the hands of the man who saved her. "I really need to be alone right now."

Once he was gone curiosity had driven her to lift her shirt. She wanted to examine the stab wound. Nothing was left but a small almost invisible scar. Then she glanced at her arms where the lycan had scratched her and noticed it was also gone. There was no indication that she had even been touched.

It was amazing to think that their blood could heal so quickly and almost anything. How long had humans struggled to heal the sick when all they really needed was vampire blood? It was too bad no one knew they existed. Most doctors would kill to get their hands on such a miracle weapon.

She wouldn't have known there were wounds on her body at one point if she hadn't seen the knife in that exact spot.

Why did Amy come for her now? She had plenty of opportunities to kill Deva, but she chose the night of the coming out ball. Deva needed answers.