Chapter 50

Deva was relieved to have a day of peace. It was some sort of national holiday. The flowers were supposed to be at their highest peak of bloom. Everyone in the kingdom celebrated and feasted for the day to admire and pay homage to the earth. They were not like ordinary flowers Deva was used to in her world. These flowers had an amazing allure. They were brighter, more colorful, and smelled divine in any spectrum.

She loved the idea that the entire kingdom had to stop for an entire day to admire beauty.

The castle was decorated like a fairytale dream. Roses, tulips, lilies, and countless exotic flowers showered the walls and tents outside the courtyard. The doors to the castle were being opened to the people. She prayed it would be different. These were normal citizens, not royals and nobles born with silver spoons in their mouths. Many came; there was music, food, and laughter.

Deva felt the ease of the atmosphere. There wasn't a heavy pressure weighing on her. Instead of the judgmental eyes Deva was receiving curiosity and marvel. The vampire community saw her in a different light than the rest of the royal spectators.

Deva drank and danced with her people. They asked her questions and she answered as truthfully as she could.

Darius and Adamarius were tossing children in the air. Their little hands were stretching out to reach the bright clouds.

In that moment Darius and Adamarius weren't sworn enemies fighting over her. They seemed happy as if nothing else mattered in the world. She was drawn to them even more so with children in their hands.

She could envision a long life with her own but which brother would be her husband?

"To add more joy to the celebration we have conducted a contest." Izzy announced, capturing the attention of every soul present. "The princess and our future Queen is a hybrid; meaning she's both lycan and vampire. Supposedly that makes her stronger..." Izzy winked at Deva, "...and faster. Shall we put it to the test? The first person to catch Princess Deva will receive a kiss from the future Queen herself."

Deva was warned about the game but didn't think many would participate. She was wrong. Many men; young, tall, short, dark, and some women delighted in the challenge. Darius and Adamarius stalked her calmly with their eyes but she could tell how uncomfortable it made them feel. She had no doubt they would join the game so no one else could touch her.

Deva wore a chiffon dress. It was strapless and black on top but faded into a soft purple at the knees then into pure white at the bottom. It was a sheer layered fabric that softly draped around her curvaceous body.

Hungry eyes loomed over her but she wasn't even the slightest frightened. Before Izzy could start the race Deva dashed into the woods. Barefoot Deva relished the sensation of having the earth beneath her rapid feet. She could hear the predators hunting for her but they were far off. The moss covered trees had welcomed her making her feel as if the woods were a second home.

Something inside her head, instinct or perhaps someone more predominate, whispered to her. It gave her direction; left here, right there. Deva obeyed the voice blazing through the trees as if she had some indication of where she was going.

Adamarius, her equal in almost every way, found her first. They were approaching a riverbank. White waterlilies covered its surface. To her they looked as if they were glowing. Deva was amazed by every piece of beauty lurking around her.

"Lady's Lake," Adamarius spoke walking up behind her.

"What?"

"There was once a beautiful woman who would float in this exact lake naked. She'd swim for hours; some even say for days."