Understanding

Hannas's P.O.V.

My hands cling to the dirt covering my lovers grave. The worn cross above his resting place tilts slightly as a light breeze caresses my tear, soaked skin. I wish he was still here. I need his strong arms encasing me with warmth and protection.

" Why couldn't you just put the gun away? Why couldn't you have waited to save me? I need you! I can't do this anymore. My one hope of having you with me is  gone. Our child is dead."

My chest tightens, my mind races to remember the sound of his voice. My skin begs for his tender touch. My heart aches, as the memory of his body crumbling to the hard ground resurfaces.

Suddenly, my mind gives me a full recount of the painful memory. My mind screams at me to hate the real villain of this tragic story. Negan. He took my love away. He deserves to be here, not Spencer.

I wish it was Negan was buried here, not you my love.

The brightness of the sun is blocked by a large figure behind me. My head turns slightly, allowing me to see the man behind me. My mind ignores the onlooker to preoccupied with my grief.

Negans P.O.V.

The small frame of Hanna's body on the ground stops me in place. Her loud sobs reignite a memory from long ago, one I hoped to never think of again.

Flashback to Lucille's Death.

The monitor beeps in the corner, as long cords stretch over the vast empty space. Lucille's lifeless body is situated on the sterile hospital bed. Her shallow breaths are the only sign of life, she expresses.

My hand rubs against my tired eyes, as I try to keep awake once again. The door opens, and the doctor walks in, holding my wife's chart in his hands.

" I came to check on her. How is she doing? "

" I am not the damn doctor, you tell me." I hiss, as I adjust myself in my seat.

The older man jerks off his glasses, as he checks my wife's vitals.

" I would stay close, I can't say when, but she is close to the end. I am going to up her morphine. I want to make her as comfortable as possible."

My heart sinks as the realization of my wife leaving me hits me in the gut. I wish she wants to die. It should be not her. I am the asshole who cheated on her. She was an amazing woman, one I didn't deserve.

"Thank you doc, I am going to stay close."

"Let me know if you need anything. We put a fresh pot of coffee in the break room if you need it." His solemn manner is another confirmation of my loved ones impending death.

I pushed my chair closer to her bedside, then placed her cold hand in mine. Her comma is the only thing keeping her from being in pain, but it denies me the chance for her to hear my words.

" Lucille, I love you so damn much. I know I fucked us, and I wish I could change it. I wish I could take your place, but I can't. You don't deserve this hell.

"You always loved me and were more loyal then I ever was. I never thought I would ever get the hot English teacher but for some damn reason, you fell in love with me. You gave me all of the love in the world, and I fucking cheated on you.

If I ever find another woman as amazing as you, I promise I will do better. I will never put her through what I put you through. I love you so much. I wish we could have had more time. "

Her monitor goes off, as her chest remains still. I knew at that moment my love was gone, with her went my sanity.

" Lucille? Please don't leave me! I need you! Dammit, please!"

End of flashback

" What are you doing here Negan?" A soft feminine voice asks, breaking me from my memory.

Hanna's P.O.V.

I finally decide to look over my shoulder, almost losing my balance seeing Negan behind me. His brows are furrowed, and his eyes seem to be looking at something, but it's not me. He must be remembering something, not contemplating my death.

" Negan, what are you doing here?" He shakes his head, as he glances down at me, sympathy encompassing his face.

" I came here to bring you back, but before I do, I think we should talk ."

" About what? The fact that you killed the love of my life? Or the fact that you pretended to care about me when  in truth, you just didn't want anyone to know that you  made me lose my baby!" I hiss.

His face falls, as he  struggles to keep eye contact with me.

" Who said that I was trying to hide anything?"

" So you didn't tell people to not talk to me, so they wouldn't ask what happened? And you aren't trying to keep my brother from me?"

Negan pushes his bat into the dirt, then gingerly places himself beside me. " I may be ashamed of what I did, but I wouldn't isolate you. I know for a fucking fact what its like to lose someone you love. Being alone is not the best thing."

" Then why have you not allowed me out of my room?"

Negan squints, as he tries to keep the sun from his eyes.

" I want you rest. I know your body needs it Carson says-"

I jump up, putting  distance us.

" No, I don't want to hear lies. Admit it, you don't want your little workers to know what you did."

" I simply want you to rest. I am their leader. It doesn't matter how they feel about me." He defends.

" Wow. You can't even be honest with yourself. If you can't admit it to me, then get the fuck out."

I begin to walk away, not caring what hw does to me. I feel a hand on my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks.

" Your right, I couldn't look at you. I have taken another person from you and I hate it. I never wanted to hurt you. I simply wanted to feel again. You make me feel alive, and I selfishly took you as a result.

You remind me of my former wife, my real wife. I loved her so much, and all I did was cheat on her. She didn't deserve the shit I put her through. Seeing you here, clinging to his grave, reminds me of the pain I felt when she died. I made her promise that day,  and I intend to keep it."

My mind was flooding   with mixed  emotions as he relays his past to me. He had a wife? Did he love her? He obviously did, since he stayed with her until the end, despite his infidelity. Wait, did he say he made a promise to her?

" What did you promise her?"

" That if I ever found a woman as amazing as her, I would do better. I wouldn't hurt her like I hurt Lucille. I promise to try and be more patient with you, as long as you promise to stay with me.  Do we have a deal?"

" I need time Negan. I can't play house with you right now. I can't even be in the same room as you. You can't break someone and expect them to care about you."

" I understand that, and I am willing to not ask anything of you. I simply want to have a chance one day to show you I am not the devil."

He is the devil to me.

" Will you promise to not hurt my brother if I come back?"

" I do."

" Then let's get back. I can't promise to ever trust you, but I will promise to never leave."

" That's all I want for now." Negan states, with a smirk on his face.

Damn him and his smirks. If he thinks he can win this he is wrong. My heart is stone cold, and can't be warmed.