Being honest.

Standing outside my brother's door, I am unsure of what to say. Do I knock and say it's your sister? Or do I simply let myself in? Or I could just forget the whole thing and go back to my room. Sucking in a deep breath I slowly reach for the door, hoping he will answer. My fingertips barely touch the metal when the door opens, revealing my brother.

His eyebrows knit in confusion, while his arms lay limply at his sides.

" Hanna, what are you doing here?" He stutters out.

" I came to see you. I know I have been avoiding you and I am sorry."

" You have no reason to apologize for your actions. The phrase I am sorry should be proceeding from my lips, not yours."

"No, Eugene it's me who's sorry. You did an amazing thing for me and I haven't even truly thanked you for it. You have proven how sorry you are for your actions, and all I have done is left you alone. You don't deserve to constantly live in shame. What you did was horrible but so have my actions towards you. "

His eyes begin to water and his lip quivers just as his hands rest on his face. His loud sobs break my heart. I can't imagine how much pain he has suffered. Carrying the guilt he must have isn't one I would wish upon anyone.

" I am so sorry sis. I made an unforgivable decision. One I regret with every cell within my body. If I could  go and reverse said actions I would do so without any regard for my own safety."

Walking over I lay my hands on his trembling frame, at seeing this broken man before me. Wet patches form on his clothing as an endless trail of water crashes onto the floor. Deciding to comfort him I gently pull his a slumped figure forward and guide his head to my chest.

" I know you're sorry but I didn't come here to demand another apology. I came to give my own."

" Why would you be giving me an apology?"

" I said I forgave you but I never proved my words. I needed to assure you that I meant it when I said I forgive you. I won't ever forget what you did, and I may never fully trust you, but I am trying. I will never give up on my family."

"I know my betrayal was a serious one Hanna. Please don't feel bad for not wanting to be around me. I can't even stand being within the same room as myself. Let alone demand anyone else be forced to be within the same facility as me."

" I came here to say I am sorry. I should have been trying to spend time with you. My own anger and hurt have kept me away but that's unfair to you. None of us are innocent anymore Eugene.

The blood of both the guilty and innocent are on our hands and I can't hold it against you. I know you were in your own way trying to keep me alive and not cause me any harm. I may never trust you completely but I can forgive you.

So will you forgive me? I know my coldness has been unbearable for you, so can you please excuse my terrible behavior?"

" There is no need. I am just happy to see you, Hanna. You are my only family and I need you by my side. These past few  days have been insufferable for me to endure. I know my disposition has irritated others as of late, so I must convey my apologies for my actions."

" You can do that later, right now, let's go watch a movie? That family film had more on it. We didn't watch the part where you spilled cocktail sauce all over Jennys dress."

" That indeed was a tragedy. Her gown was beautiful before my clumsy actions."

" You never told her that you liked her. Why is that?"

" The only explanation is I am a full-blooded coward. I guess it runs in my blood. Past down from my father to me."

" That's not true. His behavior doesn't define who you are. Sharing the same blood doesn't mean you're like him. Your a way better man then he could ever be," I stated softly.