Packing Day #3

Dinah Ramirez
I pushed all my panties into my bag, my money, my snacks, my cigarettes and everything else an average girl would need.

I don't smoke on the daily, but if someone pisses me off, I'm gonna lose my-

"Dinah!" my aunt yelled, "hurry up! You screwed up high school already, we don't need you being late on your first day of college."

I cursed under my breath as she continued yelling before slamming the door, right when she was about to speak in Spanish.

"Stupid, old woman who thinks she's my mother."

I threw my bag on my shoulder and didn't bother looking in the mirror, since my hair never obeys my commands. I slick it back, it wants to curl up. I curl it up, it wants to frizz. So ef it.

I headed down to the living room where my aunty was on the phone.

"No no no, I ordered small, not medium.......okay........can I speak with-

"Aunty, I need to go."

She turned around and gave me an assuring glance before ending her call.

"Come on then." she said, pacing past me to get her keys.

I said nothing as I just followed behind.

"Are you ready for college?" she asked as she locked the door behind her.

I walked ahead of her, playing like I heard nothing.

Aunty was your average aunty, except she never gives a flying ef what I want, need or say. Like when I was failing math, she just ignored and moved on. Like wtf?

"Did you hear me?" she asked, this time tapping my shoulder.

I shook her away from my shoulder, "I heard you. Yeah, I'm ready I guess."

She smiled, "oh come on," she threw her hands around me, "what does 'I guess' mean?"

I am so annoyed right now.

"Like you care."

Ashton Heart
"You double checked to make sure you have everything right?" mom asked in a panicked voice.

I looked around hastily, "mom, yes I did. Relax."

She was panicking all day. Wondering if I had everything I needed, ate breakfast, had enough money and more of the sort.

"Oh Ash, I just want you to be organized," she said, fixing my collar, "my big baby is going to college."

"Mom, come on. Big baby?" I asked in an embarrassed tone.

She giggled before giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I repeated and gave her one back, "I love you okay."

She bit her lip, fighting the tears.

"I love you too sweetie."

Dad came and pulled us apart, "alright now, break this up."

I looked at him with a smirk.

"Uhh, I'll miss you dad."

He chuckled softly before bringing me into a hug. I hugged back, and in that moment, I didn't wanna leave. I know I'm grown, but my parents were my closest friends.

"See ya kid. Come visit us, okay." he finished, before ruffling my dark hair.

I smiled before grabbing my bags and heading out the door.

I gave them one last glance before waving.

Mom blew a kiss and I gave her a tight lipped smile.

I closed the door and headed to my car. After getting in, I realized that I'm going to be a lot more responsible, more mature and much more ambitious.