Conflict #2

Sophie Fey
The day went by swiftly. No interruptions, and my dorm mate was becoming bearable these past couple weeks.

"Hey," she said, entering the dorm, "I think your boyfriend's out there to you."

I closed my books and came off the warm bed, pushing my feet into some comfortable shoes before heading to the swinging door.

Nicholas stood there with a smirk, "hello beautiful."

I smiled, "hi. What're you doing here?"

He pulled me from the doorway, causing me to close it behind me. I held onto his arm for balance.

"I have something for you," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist. I blushed, trying to look away from his gaze.

"Okay."

I pulled away, "let me get something to wear then."

"No, it's not this early. I want us to go out tonight....if you're free."

I thought for a moment, "yep. I am totally free tonight."

He leaned down and kissed me, "good, and dress up nicely, cause it's really special."

I nodded, while biting down on my lips, "yes, I will."

He chuckled and told me good bye. I headed back inside once he left and finished studying.

"You two are really cute," Unique said, pulling on a sweater.

I smiled, "yeah, thanks. Where are you going?"

She looked at herself in the mirror before answering, "I am going on a date."

I gave her a smile, before sitting up, "details?"

She blushed, trying to play it cool. "His name is Devon Miller, he's tall, sweet and works at-

"Lonetown Cafe?" I finished with a familiar memory of the name.

She smiled wider, "you know him?"

I nodded, "how could I not? He's the only person who makes the perfect breakfast burrito."

Speaking of those, I'm hungry.

She furrowed her brows, "ew, you eat those?"

"They're the best. You should try em." I said, opening back up my book.

She said nothing, instead she just kinda stood in her mirror awkwardly.

I looked up at her, "what's wrong?"

She shook her head, "I mean, I'm just kinda scared."

I put my book to the side, "come here," I said, patting the spot next to me.

She sat and turned to me, "Sophie........I don't know how it'll be dating a guy outside of my race."

I smiled, "I've dated a Honduran guy before. It lasted a week, because we were only twelve. But, really, black, white, mixed; its all about what you feel....not what you see. Remember that."

She looked a bit more relaxed, "I'm just nervous about what my parents'll say... I mean, I have no problem dating a black guy, they're just pretty judgmental."

I shook my head, thinking of the great bond she could have with this guy, but her parents probably making her stop.

"Unique," I called, making her look at me, "do you really love him?"

She nodded hastily, "I really do."

"Then be with him," I said, pulling my books back, "regardless of what anybody else says, think or want for you. If it were me and my parents didn't like the guy I'm with for reasons like so, I'd stay with him."