Douze: Tachycardia

"Why does it have to be this suit and tie if we have to attend his birthday?" Seff complained, holding the piece of clothing Bea picked up. "It's just too formal."

It was a Friday night and Bea did not stop bothering him until he was standing in front of her. Her father would be celebrating his birthday the following day. She wanted to decline the invitation she got on her office but she got a call from her sister begging her to go.

"Because it is a formal event," she told him. "This is the dress code."

"Can't you just tell him that I'm out of town? It's better if they wouldn't meet me anymore," he said. "Why do you have to drag me to this?"

"Seff, my father wouldn't allow such an excuse. I'm sorry to drag you with this but just bear with me. He would always find reasons for your excuses. Anyway, I'm leaving soon," she told him. Bea has been checking different places for the past weeks and she has surveyed the area. "Soon enough, we can pretend that we broke up."

"Have you found a place?" he asked.

"Prospects," she said.

The two arrived on the hotel where he would be celebrating his 65th birthday. Seff wasn't expecting something too big but was surprised when he saw the number and the kind of people invited.

"Are you sure we're on the right venue?" he asked her. They happened to have passed by two city mayors and another person who holds a high position in the government.

"Of course," she said. She was wearing a silver cocktail dress which matches what he was wearing. She was holding on to Seff's arms as they walked their way going to the front. She scanned the area and found her sister on a table with her husband and ten year old kid. Her sister recognized her immediately and stood up to welcome her with a hug.

"It's been a while Bea," Lianne smiled as she embraced her youngest sister. "Look at you and your boyfriend."

"Seff, this is Lianne Sy- Hall. She's my eldest sister and that's her husband Kevin. Beside Kevin is their only daughter Adrianna. Lianne, this is Seff Walter Yu," she introduced the two.

Seff offered his hand which she took. "Pleased to meet you, Lianne."

"My pleasure too," she said. "Join us here please. Alex would be arriving with her family later."

"Alex is my other sister. She's also married now," Bea told him and they took the empty seats.

"I'm so surprised when Mom told me that you have a boyfriend again, finally. It's been a while honey," Lianne smiled. "I was so scared you would never move on."

Bea's light mood changed dramatically but not wanting to be asked any further, she forced a smile. Seff's scrutinizing eyes did not miss it.

"I'm happy you flew all the way here for his birthday," Bea rather said.

"Oh, no big deal. Dad only celebrates his day once a year. I wanted to see Mom and you too," she said. They were all seated comfortably on the table when their father approached them. He was escorted by their mother.

"So," he started. It took the attention of everyone and Bea pulled Seff to stand up. "Who's the man who's putting up with you?"

"Attorney Sy, this is Seff Walter Yu. Seff, this is Attorney Ramon Sy, my father. And of course my mother," she introduced them.

"Good evening, Sir," Seff said and extended his hand. "Happy birthday as well."

Ramon took his hand. "Good evening. I'm glad Beatrice didn't invent any lies for me not to meet you."