Trente et Trois: Warfarin

Saturday. With nothing to do at home and his parents needing help at the bakeshop, Seff dragged Bea with him to help everyone. It was April, the first weekend after the school year ended, and there were a lot graduation parties being held. They got a lot of orders for all occasions and they needed an extra hand.

Seff was on the cashier like what he used to do, Raffy and Ava making cupcakes, Akira entertaining guests, Ethan taking orders, Paul working while looking after Gavin and Cali, Anthony serving drinks, Ed cleaning tables, Amanda supervising everyone. Bea, not good in baking or in interpersonal skills, was working on making the cupcake boxes.

"Is this what everyone does when you go here?" she asked.

"Other than eat and make our own take homes, yes," Ava answered, working on the frostings. "Cali and Gavin made one before so Mom named it after those two. Once Colbie gets older and my baby is born, I'm sure there will be a new flavor."

"Yeah. It goes by batch. So if Akira gives birth as well as you, Mom would name it after the kids again," Raffy laughed. "I wonder what the names would be."

Ava laughed. "Kelan ba kasi? Ang tagal naman magpakasal."

Bea wanted to disappear right that moment. She wanted to tell them why they're not getting married but she couldn't find the heart to do so. They're all normal and they would never understand her reasons. She was about to answer when Ethan came in shortly and walked in to his wife just for a short kiss.

"I'm just tired," he said. "I need some energizer."

"You'd better rest. There will be a birthday celebration later at Cali's right?" Raffy asked him, referring to one of their restobar branches.

"Yeah," he answered. "I'll extend for thirty minutes to help out then I'll spend an hour with Cali and Colbie before I go."

"Are you sure? If you want I can take your role outside so you can rest," she offered.

"I'm good Love," he assured her. "I'll be happy with a nice dinner at home. I wouldn't be late. I promised Cali that we'll pray altogether later and he wants me to see some cartoon show. I said yes to my son."

Raffy smiled at him happily. "Thanks for spending time with my kids."

"Of course. I'll have some too with my wife."

Raffy laughed. "Of course. I love you, Love."

"I love you too," he said and drank his water.

Bea was silently listening to their conversation. They've been married for more than a year now, been lovers for more than a decade. Yet, the love and the passion between them never seemed to die. It was eating her heart out seeing the two with their simple sweet nothings. She can see how happy they are with their family. Even if there are additions, they still got time for each other.

And she imagined if she was Raffy and Ethan as Seff. Most likely, they would be arguing as to who sees who.

"Ethan, Raffy, I'll take his position. I'm doing the last five pieces. I don't think there would be any problem if I take orders," she volunteered.

"Sure?" Ethan asked her.

"You bet," she answered.

"You're an angel, Bea," he said and tapped her shoulders. He taught her what she needs to remember when taking orders and when she was done with the boxes, she put on her cutesy apron and her fountain pen. Seff was surprised to see her go out and she started taking orders. When there's no line, she helped in serving orders and cleaning tables.

Most people who came in are girls. Most are pleasant, but she noticed them all to be more pleasant when paying their bill. He drops a smile and a word to everyone, telling them to enjoy their food. One of the teenagers even asked for his name and so he answered while extending his hand. Some people he has seen before and greets them with a welcome, asks for their name, and says hi. Everyone who left the counter left with smiles on their faces.