Dix-Huit: First Aid

Empty home. Empty house. Empty faces.

That's what it was for Bea as soon as she moved to her new place. Since she needs to focus on Camila's case, she was in the office most of the time, leaving her own place empty. She takes dinner somewhere else and goes home to sleep. When the morning comes, she takes a bath and goes back to work.

She just finished an interview that morning covered by the press about the case of her client. It took an hour before it was finished and she has to attend a meeting again. It was already past 2 PM when she was able to go back to her swivel chair. She was still waiting for her laptop to boot when her secretary came in to give some other reminders.

"Attorney, may nagpadala din po pala ng pagkain kanina para sa inyo. Baka po masira kaya nilagay ko muna sa ref sa pantry," she said.

"Where did it come from?"

"Delivery lang po. Hold on Attorney, I'll check his name again. I forgot who sent it," she excused herself. Shortly, her secretary went back. "Attorney, pinadala po ni Seff Yu."

"Galing kay Seff?" she was surprised. It has been a while since they last talked. She left his house real early that Saturday to avoid talking to him. Other than being irritated with their argument the night before she left, she felt like she doesn't want to have another time for goodbyes with him.

Because precaution is always better than cure.

"Yes, Attorney," she confirmed. "Kukunin ko po ba?"

"No need. Ako na bahala," she said. "Thanks. Can you place a phone call to his office to thank him?"

"Okay po, Attorney," she agreed and went out of her office. Bea locked her computer and went to their pantry. She found two tupperwares inside a paperbag named after her. Inside the tupperware were sushi rolls, makis, and crab sticks. The other one was filled with leafy vegetables and an extra container filled with the dressing. On top of the tupperware was a small card that said 'Do not disregard. Urgent to eat. SWY.'

She couldn't help but laugh with the gesture. She took the lid off and started her lunch.

She just got back from the restroom when her secretary called her attention as she was going in.

"Ma'am, tumawag na po ako sa office ni Mr. Yu."

"Thank you. Nakausap mo ba kahit secretary nya?"

"Yes, Attorney. He's waiting on the line po. Nasa line 2 po," she said.

"What?! Eh di ba kanina papunta pa lang ako sa pantry when you dialled their number?"

"Opo. When I gave them your name, he took the call and maghihintay daw po sya until you go back. I offered a return call kaso tumanggi po sya. Maghihintay daw po sya sa linya."

"Sinabi mo ba na kumakain ako?" she said and checked her watch. She was gone for an hour.

"Yes, Attorney," she answered.

Bea sighed. Seff used his managerial ability this time, she knows. "Sige na, transfer mo na sa linya ko. Cold transfer na. I'll talk to him."

As soon as she sat on her chair, Bea accepted the call and put it on speaker.

"Finally!" she heard his voice when he stopped hearing the hold music even if she hasn't said anything. "That was long."

"My secretary offered a callback. You declined," she said. "Your choice."

"I don't trust it that you will call me back," he answered. "You left without even waking me up."

"I didn't want to bother you sleeping. I know you were still thinking of that game you didn't see," she told him.