Vingt et Un: Chronic Insomnia

She was an hour late for work and has another headache after having a drinking session alone on her unit. Monday mornings are toxic enough to make her hate the world and she just made it worse with what she did. She was just about to get in when she saw the figure of a man inside her office waiting. His legs were crossed and he was reading the papers.

She took a deep breath before going in. It wouldn't be a good one, she knew.

"Can I help you with something?" she asked the man politely.

He painted a smile on his face and stood up. "It's been a while Beatrice."

She nodded and gestured him to sit on the chair nearest to her table. "Is there anything you need help with?"

"Yes, Miss Sy. I need your approval about a decision that I came up with," the old man said.

"What decision?" she asked him. She never dealt with him.

"I'm going to have James inherit my fortune if he gets married for real," he answered.

"What does it have to do with me?"

"Why are you asking me the same question my dearest daughter-in-law?" he laughed.

"Mister Del Carmen, I have long called it quits with your son. We're no longer involved," she told him. "I'm not marrying him."

"Why, is it because of the other man I saw on the newspaper? Is this another man that your father chose for you?"

"Don't get him involved here," she told him patiently. Harold Del Carmen is the man she never wanted to deal with. He is a businessman in all sense that even his children can be utilized for the same reasons.

"I'm not. I'm just telling you that I might resort doing some things if I need to. You have tainted our name quite colorful and I'm just trying to put it back the same way it was before," he threatened her.

"James decides for himself. Not you, not me. What I did is something that made him happy. We both wanted what I did."

Harold walked up to her and sure that he wasn't seen, he held her on her neck while making her lean on the wall. His grasp wasn't tight but it wasn't loose either.

"How can a child ever know what's best for her? A father sure knows more and better. Look at you, you love to disobey your father when he knows what's best for you. You are not getting anywhere without him," he smiled and his hold on his neck was getting tighter. She was scared and wanted to scream but couldn't find her words. She was trying to think real fast wher her eyes saw someone.

"S-Someone's coming i-in. L-let me go," she pleaded.

Harold looked behind and saw her secretary about to get in and was followed by another guy. He removed his hand from her neck and smiled.

"Attorney, I have Mister Yu with me. Are you free?"

Bea forced a smile even if she was still feeling scared. Her whole body was trembling that she needed to hold on to her table. "Y-Yes. You can let him in."

Her secretary opened the door wider and Seff was behind her. He went and saw the man inside.

"So, Miss Sy, I hope you understood what I wanted to tell you," he said and straightened his coat. "I should be expecting you soon."

Harold walked to the door and patted Seff's shoulders. "Have a good day, both of you."

When the man was completely out of her office, Seff closed the door and noticed her pale lips.

"Are you okay? You look so pale," he asked her.

"Yeah, I'm o-okay," she lied and smiled.

"Was that a client?"