A Blood Bond

Chapter 6—A Blood Bond

Myrnin

I have no idea how long I sat there, immovable, staring at the wall, staring at nothing. She was in my arms...and then she was gone – the story of my life really. It was stupid of me to reveal myself that way, but I was never very good at controlling any emotion, let alone the unusually strong desires and feelings, that Claire evoked from me.

I mentally shook myself. Later, I could sulk and feel sorry for myself; but for now, there was still work to be done. I leapt forwards, then crashed to the floor; mentally cursing on the way down. Damn it! Who put these books-? I stopped as I recalled my earlier episode of 'reorganizing' the books from the table.

I carefully picked my way over books, glass beakers and expectant metal pieces, waiting to become relevant in future mechanical creations; that littered the floor, until I found the spot on the wall I was looking for.

I opened the portal; and took a step back at the sudden severe pain in my head again; as I carefully studied the features of the passageway itself...from a safe distance, of course... just in case the thing might have violent tendencies. I shook my head to clear it; I knew I was being absurd again, relating emotion to the raw science of the portal system...

I stared at the vibrating energy that shimmered in a state of potential; trying to force it to reveal the location I was conjuring in my mind. It seemed to flex and respond under my mental coercion, but the desired location didn't take hold. Instead, there appeared to be several possible realities transforming and then changing again in the next instant. I couldn't make out enough of the details during my fleeting glances, to make sense of the sequences.

But then my cold heart spiked in joy, for just a second, as I took in the realization that the portals were changed – and that somehow it had been option one!

Determined, I used every bit of mental fortitude and concentration I had, to slow down the velocity of the rapidly changing visions; the strain of controlling the images was causing me severe headaches, but I smiled through gritted teeth, pleased with myself, as the shimmering visions slowed. I applied further mental stimulus to finally bring them to a stop, almost panting from the exertion of it.

Intently focused as I was, I never even heard the door open behind me. My only warning was the sudden movement of the hair on the back of my neck, as it stood to attention – and my every nerve ending reacting in horror, as I caught the scent of a stranger, long since dead – or so I thought. The portal snapped shut at the fierce break in my concentration. I urgently reasoned with myself, as I spun landing into a predatory crouch – shoving out the remaining throbbing in my head, so that I could put a name with the smell. I refused to believe it – she couldn't be alive after all of this time.

Anwyn.

"Now Myrnin," she purred, taking in my defensive reaction, "Is that any way to treat a long lost love?" She smiled but her eyes were hard with a familiar thrill, as she took a deliberate step toward me. Her smiled slowly widened, as she watched my automatic natural shift to her advance; she was enjoying this cat and mouse game. And I was the mouse.

I forced myself to relax and stood straight, looking bored. "Anwyn; it's been a while," clearly an understatement as I did the mental math – it had been over 600 year since I had last seen her.

"Has it, my love? It feels like it was just yesterday." She murmured as she erased the last few steps between us and placed one hand lightly on my bare chest, tilting her head to look up at me; an unspoken challenge...or was that an invitation...clear in her eyes.