The Plan

Chapter 55 –Claire's POV– The Plan

Claire didn't want to scare Eve more than they already had, but couldn't refrain from flying into Eve's arms. Claire clutched her tightly, never wanting to let her go again.

"Um..." Eve began and coughed slightly, "you're choking me..."

"Oh!" Claire loosened her grip. "I'm sorry," she said with a small apologetic smile.

Eve grinned, "I'm happy to see you too, but it looks like you have a lot more to tell me." She cut her eyes to Adrianna.

Claire pulled her to the couch and began to recount the events of the last day – well, of tomorrow, for them. Fresh tears slipped from her eyes as she told Eve about her and Rhysian's deaths.

Eve stared, her eyes huge as she whispered, "Michael? Does he know that I'm...I mean, does he think I am...dead?"

"No!" Claire replied quickly, trying to comfort her friend. "He wasn't there. And now that you are here, we have successfully split your consciousness, meaning I can take the new you, back to that timeline."

Eve shook her head, "Wait a minute. Say all of that again. Slower."

Claire began carefully, "I can't change that timeline. I would do anything to be able to go back and stop what happened to you," Claire broke down as emotion caused a lump in her throat, making it impossible for her to continue.

Eve waited patiently, her eyes anxious.

"—but I can't." Claire finished. "But when Anwyn forced me into the time portal, I knew that I could save you.

"The time portal?" Eve interrupted sharply.

"Yes. Eve, it was amazing. I had practiced manipulating the energy of the time portal for months, but was too frightened to ever go through it. Anwyn thought she was banishing me to some unknown horrible death, but when I stepped into the time portal, I just understood it. I could control it and not just direct it to where I wanted to go. I felt it, like a web of living energy around me, like it was a part of my flesh and bones," Claire said, reliving her shock and awe at the experience. Claire noticed Adrianna looking at her in astonishment, realizing Claire's words meant that she had the same skills!

"—in those split seconds of clarity when I floated in a void of time and space, I knew immediately what I wanted, and what I could do – I could save you," Claire stopped again and gathered Eve into another tight hug.

Eve murmured softly, "It is okay...I'm here now."

Claire leaned back and swiped her hand across her cheek, brushing away more tears. She took a deep breath to steady herself and continued, "The instant that I interacted with each of you, I caused a split in your consciousness and literally yanked the new you into this new timeline, which we are on now."

Eve began to understand and guessed, "That's why you didn't want me to talk to anyone before coming here."

"Yes," Claire affirmed, "We cannot make contact with anyone else while we are here, because it would split them as well."

"While we are here," Eve repeated Claire's words, contemplating, "which means, we are going to be leaving and going back to the original timeline."

Claire nodded.

"—and the only way we can do that is through the time portal?" Eve questioned.

"Yes, it is the only way to break through to another timeline," Claire breathed.

"—and you are certain we can all get to the same time and location?" Eve asked anxiously.

"I know it," Claire replied with absolute certainty.