Lust and War

Chapter 22—Lust and War

Claire

Claire gently grasped the deep azure dress, just above her knee, raising the fabric slightly, to keep from tripping over the hem as they descended the grand staircase of The Hotel Elysium. She let her right hand ghost along the cool marble railing to moderate her balance, which was really an unnecessary precaution. Falling was simply not an option, with Myrnin anywhere in the room. Claire glanced down at his strong fingers, curled around her left elbow, for support, and then raised her attention to his face. He had a striking profile with linear features, pale skin and dark long hair, which framed his face. She pondered over how well suited he was for both worlds - perpetually dangerous 2015 Morganville; and this place, full of beauty, magic and mystery - 1409 Conwy.

Claire was suddenly struck by the sorrow of how much she would miss this wonderful place - it was home to her now. How had that happened? She had a choice. She could stay if she wanted - the possibilities were endless; all she had to do was imagine it and Myrnin would take her there. The idea tugged on her heart strongly.

The Hotel was quiet tonight; Claire observed only a single attendant. He was tucked into one of the alcoves, busy reading and shuffling papers. He glanced up when they reached the floor; Claire watched his posture and demeanor change, as he made eye contact with Myrnin. The attendant straightened and with a slight head gesture, clearly communicated his readiness to assist them.

Myrnin's expression must have given him some unspoken command, because the attendant quickly made his way over to them. "Rydym yn ei gwneud yn ofynnol ceffyl," Myrnin spoke fluidly. The attendant gave a hard nod and hastily walked away.

"What did you say to him? Where is he going?" Claire inquired, as Myrnin lead her through the grand entrance doors.

Myrnin looked around as they exited into the night air, and replied, "I told him we required a horse."

"Oh," Claire breathed. She had only been on a horse one other time, and was not sure that even counted; as it was one of those pony rides at the fair, that went in circles.

Myrnin read the hesitation in her countenance and assured her. "It is quite all right, love. You will not befall harm, and we will get there much faster this way."

The attendant returned leading a powerful, regal animal. The handsome chestnut brown horse side-stepped quickly, his hoofs clicking the rock pathway in quick succession, as he appeared eager for the release to, stretch his legs. He was not wearing a saddle, simply a blanket strapped around his girth, and a bit in his mouth with long, narrow leather reins. Myrnin gracefully swung himself up, steadying the animal with calming noises; the horse quieted beneath his touch.

"Give me your hand," Myrnin looked at Claire.

She reached up and felt herself being lifted and quickly settled in front of Myrnin; his steady arms around her. Claire had to pull her dress up some, to allow her legs to wrap around the horse's belly; she noticed the attendant quickly look away, at the sight of her bare calf.

Myrnin guided Claire's hands to grasp the horse's mane tightly. "Don't look at the horse while we ride, as it could cause you to become unbalanced. Keep your head up and your eyes out, in the direction we are going," he instructed. "Also, let your legs hang naturally; don't grip his belly with them. I will keep his gait steady - just relax into me."

Claire only nodded, hoping she could both remember and also do everything he said. The horse responded to a command Myrnin gave in Welsh, and began walking. Claire focused on letting her muscles relax, and after fifteen minutes or so, she felt comfortable with the gentle rocking motion of the horse's movement. Myrnin articulated another command, and the horse increased in speed. Claire worked again to relax and let her body move with him. She was surprised at how easy it felt, but suspected Myrnin's body, wrapped tightly around her, had much to do with it.