It's Okay, I'll Behave

Chapter 15—It's Okay, I'll Behave

Claire

They spent the next hour working their way down the terrain until they reached the edge of woods and emerged close to the city. Claire could see the city lights and it took her breath away.

Hotel Elysium rose up to meet them, a complex and majestic structure, bearing grand windows, turrets and balconies. The clouds must have parted because the moon shown overhead, causing wonderful light reflections to dance off the surface. As if possessing elusive secrets that only the morning would reveal. They stepped over the threshold, and Claire was momentarily stunned by the breathtaking textures of stone, marble and wood, elegantly arranged in wonderful grandeur.

Myrnin took her hand and lead her to a small alcove where he addressed the attendant in fluid Welsh, his tone lifting and falling with the accent of the words. Claire wondered how he remembered the language so fluently, considering he could not recall where he put his socks most of the time.

When their business was completed, the attendant bowed low to Claire, "Gwraig Croeso i Myrnin." Claire wasn't sure if she should curtsey or bow, so she just nodded. Myrnin turned her toward the grand marble staircase, leading to the second floor.

"What did he say?" Claire whispered, not wanting her voice to echo off of the walls in the vast expanse of the room.

Myrnin dipped his head to hers and whispered back, "He welcomed you as my wife."

"Your wife?" Claire's eyes were wide, as she envisioned that idea.

Myrnin watched her intently and then to break the tension, he said lightly, "It is only proper. You even have a ring to prove it." He held her hand up, trying desperately not to reveal, just how much seeing her wear his mother's ring, affected him. "And I didn't think you would be particularly fond of the other option."

Claire blinked in confusion.

He raised his eyebrows.

She finally understood and breathed, "Oh, they had those back then as well?"

When they reached the second floor landing, Myrnin guided her to a low couch set against a window. Claire looked out the window and was struck by how bright the stars were. "Why are we stopping here?"

"They are preparing the room. They will let me know when they are finished. It won't be long."

His words caused the butterflies in Claire's belly and her heartrate to increase, as she thought about the two of them alone in a hotel room...sharing the same bed. She was a little panicked by the thought. Myrnin must have read her distress, and whispered in her ear, "It's okay...I'll be good."

Claire jerked back involuntarily at his response, warmth emanating from her neck and cheeks. Myrnin looked at her in confusion, reading her response to his words. Then he chuckled and clarified, "It's okay...I'll behave."

Claire bit her lip and tried to force her body to relax.

A moment later, two female attendants let Myrnin know the room was ready. He helped Claire up and said excitedly, "Come. I think you will be most pleased with the accommodations."

There would have been nothing that could have prepared Claire for the opulence and splendor of the 'room'. Suite or home would have been a more accurate description. There was a large main room complete with a huge bed. The room extended quite far and at the other end, she was breathless – was that a bathtub?

Myrnin followed her gaze and nodded the answer to her unspoken question. "I assumed you would like a bath?"

"Yes," Claire breathed as she walked to the bath, "But how? Did they just cart all of this water up here and how is it still warm?" She let her fingers break the surface of the water.