The Stars Lie

Chapter 29—The Stars Lie

Claire

Claire felt shame wash over her. Amelie was right; how could she be so selfish? Her hand shook. She dropped the dagger; listening as the metal resounded off the floor at impact.

Claire went to the portal wall with renewed determination and thrust it open. To her shock, she could see something. She strained and flexed her mind to bring the image into resolution and almost lost her grip on it when she realized it was Myrnin! He's alive! Her heart took off with joy and she screamed his name: Myrnin! Myrnin! Myrnin! She shouted for almost five minutes, then gave up; realizing there was nothing she could do make him hear her.

For a brief second she considered going through the portal, but she knew how dangerous that could be. Even though she could see him now, there was no guarantee where - or when - she would end up. She still did not have the mental capacity to reduce that risk.

Claire dug her phone out of her pocket. Her fingers trembled as she called Rhysian. She had to redial three times because she kept hitting the wrong digits, in her excitement.

He picked up on the first ring. "Hello Bebe'. What's up?"

"Rhy!" She hollered through the phone.

Immediately, his mood changed and he demanded, "Claire?! What is it?! Are you okay?!"

"Yes...yes! More than okay, but I need you to come here. Can you come now?!"

"Yes, of course...I'll be right there." The phone clicked as he ended the call.

Claire practically bounced in place as she waited for Rhysian. She had the door open even before he could let himself in. Tugging his hand, she pulled him over to the lab table, nearest the portal wall. "Sit," she commanded.

Alarm and concern still evident on his features as he took in this completely foreign version of Claire; not accustomed to her unrestrained excitement. "Claire, tell me what is going on," he said firmly.

She stood quivering as the words tumbled out. "I've seen him! Rhy, I've seen him!"

Rhysian's head whipped around as he scanned the room behind them, looking for Myrnin. "Where?! When?!" He stared back at her in confusion.

"Through the time portal!"

"What?! Time portal? What the hell are you talking about?"

"Watch!" Claire thrust her hand toward the wall. Before the portal could materialize, Rhysian grabbed her extended arm and spun her to face him.

"No!"

Claire looked at him in shock. "What are you doing?" She hissed, shaking his hand off of her arm and stepping away from him.

"Do you not understand the pain you are going to experience if you try to do that?!" He said sharply.

"Pain?" Claire asked confused. "Of course I am aware of the pain."

Comprehension lit his expression. "You have been opening time portals." He stated, shocked. "But the pain - and for a human - why would you do that?" His voice drifted off.

Claire looked down, not really wanting to share her excruciating struggles with the time portal. "For him...," she whispered. "...I would experience any kind of pain... for him..."

"Oh, Bebe'...what have you been doing to yourself..." It sounded like he was speaking to himself, rather than to her, so Claire did not answer.

"Okay," Rhysian said resigned.