Kings, Queens & Time Lords?

Chapter 33—Kings, Queens & Time Lords?

Claire

"Claire," Oliver's authoritative voice called from behind the door. "It is Amelie. Open the door."

Claire cringed. She had hoped to have a little more time to prepare for what she would say to Amelie. Myrnin's hug turned in a vice grip of protection around her. She breathed deeply to calm both of their nerves. "No. It's okay," she spoke against his chest.

Myrnin hesitated.

"Really," she whispered, "They are...friends."

Myrnin's eyebrow went up, assessing the difference in her rapid pulse and temperature versus her casual use of the word, 'friends.' He took a moment to search her eyes.

Claire worried that Oliver might break the entire door down if she didn't respond soon. "Coming..." She called loudly.

Myrnin's eyes narrowed, but he loosened his grip enough for her to wiggle out. Taking a step toward the door, Claire was stopped in her tracks by Myrnin's hand on her arm.

"No!" He hissed.

"I have to open the door. It will be okay." Claire did her best to force her body to react appropriately to her words.

"I will get the door. Stay here." His tone reverberated with authority, leaving no question as to what she would do.

Claire's anger impulsively flared at his presumption in giving her a command. She opened her mouth to address their need for better defined boundaries, but snapped it shut again. There was something very dangerous lurking in his eyes. She stood awkwardly, still a little miffed.

Myrnin crossed the room in three easy strides and pulled the door open wide. He then retreated back toward her, never turning his back on their 'company'. He stopped right in front of Claire. His posture had relaxed into an annoyed expression, but Claire knew he was nowhere near relaxed. The fact that he was using himself as a vampire shield, betrayed his feigned bored expression.

Amelie strode into the room with an air of unquestionable authority. She settled in one of the armchairs facing the couch, her back straight in her customary carriage; her movement exquisitely smooth and unhindered by the palpable tension in the room.

Claire attempted to step around Myrnin to address Amelie, when she felt his hand on her hip, effortlessly tucking her back into place behind him. Okay, this had to stop. "I am not a child." She hissed and stepped around him once again. He let her, but Claire could tell from the firm set of his shoulders that he was not pleased by her actions.

Amelie's keen and penetrating eyes watched the affair with fascination. Claire settled into place on the couch nearest her. Myrnin shifted his position closer to Claire; belying his still casual expression.

Oliver stood at Amelie's right, his stance rigid; while her guards fanned out slightly behind her. Their movements reminded Claire of an animated chess game – the king and queen shifting battle positions and strategies – analyzing the other; ready to exploit the slightest moment of weakness.

"Amelie," Claire began. "What brings you here in the middle of night?"

Amelie's lips twitched just slightly at the absurdity of Claire's question. "Apparently, you scream quite loudly..."

Claire puzzled over Amelie's words, thinking back to when she screamed last. Then it hit her – her argument with the stars earlier! She could almost feel Myrnin's eyes bearing down on her. It was clear he wanted an explanation on this topic as well. Claire refused to look at him.