The Absence of Him

Chapter 26—The Absence of Him

Claire

Claire wasn't sure how she would get an audience to see Amelie, without a prearranged appointment; one did not just 'drop in' on the Founder. But, if what Michael said was true, and Amelie did care that she had 'died', hopefully she would see her quickly. Claire had begun to make plans for finding Myrnin, and she needed Amelie's resources to accomplish them.

Claire reached Founders Square and made her way to the building that held Amelie's office. She was greeted with looks of shock from everyone; no one spoke to her. Under different circumstances Claire would have found the expressions on their faces funny – they all looked scared ofher.

As hoped for, it seemed that word did travel fast; she was ushered straight to Amelie without stopping. Amelie stood at her desk looking as cool as ever in a silver suit that exactly matched her eyes, but her expression was something Claire had never seen before. Distant. Sad.

"Leave us." Amelie ordered the guards. Immediately they disappeared from the room. Claire didn't even see which door they walked out of.

"Come here." Amelie ordered.

Claire hesitantly walked over to stand next to Amelie, nerves rising up in her; she had no idea what to expect next.

Amelie reached a pale, perfectly manicured hand out to touch Claire's arm, almost as if feeling to see if she were real. That's odd, Claire thought. But her next words – asking a simple question – caused Claire to crumple.

"And what of Myrnin?" Amelie inquired.

Claire fell – literally – to Amelie's floor (she made a mental note that she needed to stop falling in people's arms or offices, if she was going to stay strong enough to find him).

A flash of alarm passed over Amelie's face, revealing the slightest chink in her normally emotionless armor, before she was business-like once again. She scooped Claire off the floor and set her in one of the chairs. Amelie then sat across from her and waited for her to speak.

For the second time, Claire told her story. She didn't leave anything out, including her intimacy with him. She noticed Amelie's eyes widen slightly at that, but if she was going to get Amelie's help, Amelie needed to know everything. Amelie listened motionless, not even blinking her eyes. She remained silent for a full five minutes once Claire stopped talking.

Claire hadn't yet told Amelie about her plans, but she could tell Amelie was already on the same page when she spoke: "You will have everything you need to find him."

Fresh silent tears ran down Claire's cheeks in relief.

"I have a car waiting to take you back to the lab. I assume you will be staying at the lab?"

Claire nodded.

Amelie reached into a drawer, pulled out a small phone and credit card, and slid them over to her. "Keep these. Get whatever supplies and personal items you require" —Amelie said softly and then snapped back into all business again— "you will have a driver and an escort whenever you need to go out. Do not go alone. Their contact numbers are programmed into your speed dial."

This was the Amelie that Claire knew; the one who spoke and expected her orders to be carried out – exactly as she instructed – or the consequences would be severe. Somehow, this side of Amelie comforted Claire. She didn't know if it was because Amelie was helping her or if it was because she needed to feel something anythingfamiliar.

Amelie eyed Claire again and quietly asked, "And do you wish to enroll in the University?"

Claire stared back into Amelie's endless eyes and whispered, 'No."