Hidden, but Alive with Potential

Chapter 17—Hidden, but Alive with Potential

Claire

Claire's mind was swirling on their predicament, as she sat in an elegant chair surveying her options. Select something casual, he had instructed. Claire was not sure what his definition of casual was, but it certainly wasn't her description of any of the beautiful dresses in front of her. Claire cringed a tiny bit when she compared the beauty before her to what she wore on a regular day – shorts and a t-shirt.

She settled on a lovely shade of blue, not quite teal, tunic style dress, with a low waist to accent her curves. The bodice clung tightly to her figure, and then flared out gradually from her hips down to the floor. The shoulders had slight gathers creating fullness; and form-fitting sleeves ran to the middle of her hands.

Claire picked up the sash that accompanied the dress. It was narrow, more like a belt, but much longer. She ran her fingers over the intricately woven brilliant blue and green pattern. She assumed she was supposed to wrap it around her waist, but had no idea how to tie it. "Myrnin?"

He was at the door in an instant and she was caught off guard, as she finally realized what he was wearing. It was normal. Well, normal for Myrnin. He wore slim cut black pants with a deep gray belted tunic under a black cloak gathered across the high part of his chest and black boots. Even with Claire's inexperienced eye, she knew the fine details of the stitching and form, indicated the garments were expensive.

Myrnin's gaze increased in intensity as she openly appraised him, his voice low, as he replied softly, "Yes?"

Claire flushed as her attention snapped back into focus. "How do I tie this?" she asked, showing him the sash. Myrnin took it gently, wrapped it around her waist and expertly tied it low on her hips in the front. Claire felt warmth in her cheeks again, this time from the closeness of his touch and the knowledge that he was dressing her – there was something...almost intimate about that.

Claire watched him pull something from a hidden pocket; and then he handed it to her. She was breathless as she examined the gorgeous hair clip, with sparkling clear stones, set in a delicate Celtic pattern. Her voice barely a whisper, when she said, "I am guessing the stones are not glass..."

"Most decidedly not," Myrnin smiled.

"It's beautiful," she breathed. "How do-"

"Here, turn around."

Claire turned, and shivered as she felt his cool hands lift the hair away from her neck. He twisted it high on her head and closed the clip to keep it in place.

"Are you ready," he asked with gentle eyes; turning her back around to look at him.

Claire reached for his extended hand and nodded.

As they descended the grand staircase, Claire began to fidget; tightening her hold on his hand, as she noticed people watching them. Myrnin nodded assurance to her, in response to the increased pressure from her hand. When they crossed the threshold to the outside, Claire whispered, "Why were they staring?"

He leaned down to her, "Because you are beautiful." He said it simply and matter-of-factly, causing her to flush with pleasure at his words.

"Where are we going?"

"Theatr y Gwaed: which translated means Theatre of Blood."

"So, they like to get right to the point, then," Claire responded dryly.

Claire found the walk invigorating; and stared at the sky in wonder at the clarity and magnificence of the stars. Myrnin noticed her attention, "They are wondrous, are they not? Amazing what the sky looked like without all of the contaminants of modern convenience."

As they turned the corner, Claire stopped, stunned by the imposing Gothic structure of Theatr y Gwaed. Three impressive pointed arches announced entrance through three equally grand doors. The next level held massive windows that seemed to wrap themselves around the building; each framed with complex stone patterns. The windows were then decorated by several free-standing pinnacles that jutted out away from the surface of the building, each with a figure at the top that Claire could not discern, from the distance. "Myrnin, what is at the top of each of the pinnacles? "

Myrnin looked in the direction she was pointing and said, "They are hand carved gargoyles, every one uniquely different from the rest."

Above the windows, two fearsome towers stretched into the sky; each tower ending in the culmination of a giant spire; one taller in measure than the other – and nestled in the conjunction between them, was a huge round stained glass window.

"Oh," Claire breathed.

Myrnin led Claire to one of the seemingly unassuming decorative pointed arches, at the back of the building.

Confused, Claire whispered, "What are we doing?"

Myrnin just smiled, as he placed his hands carefully on two different blocks and pushed. Claire heard the stone groan slightly, as it opened to reveal a hidden passageway. Once inside, Myrnin produced a small torch, striking it against the stone to light it. With his other hand, he released a lever; a pulley gently closed the wall back in place.

"How did you know that was there?" Claire wondered.

Myrnin spoke a little sheepishly as he replied, "I actually own the building."

"Of course, you do," Claire muttered.

Myrnin went on, "It was the only place I remember my mother ever taking me before she gave me away. When I took control of Conwy, I purchased the theatre. "I have always thought of this passageway...as the heart of the theatre...hidden, but alive with potential – the idea connected me to her in some unknown- " Myrnin drifted off; and Claire looked up to see a pained expression in his face, quickly followed by embarrassment, as if he forgot he was speaking out loud. "Sorry...I've never told anyone before," he said quietly.

Claire squeezed his hand in encouragement.

"Come, I want to show you something." The excited glow was back in Myrnin's eyes as he led her up a winding staircase. When they reached the top, he manipulated another lever before the wall opened, granting them entrance. Claire stepped through and turned to watch him, as he reached his fingers around the back of the decorative molding. He must have released a mechanism, because the wall slid back into place.

"Come," he said again, as he led her to a balcony, overlooking the stage and a grand three story set.

"It's beautiful," she breathed, surprised that she could see so well; and looked up to identify the light source. She inhaled sharply, as she took in the domed octagon ceiling, framed with panels of glass – the constellations shining brilliantly through.

"Myrnin, why is there a glass ceiling in a theatre made for vampires?"

"Because vampires are resourceful and usually well-funded in their goals. Given our extraordinary reaction to UV rays verses mortals, we were pressed to find solutions sooner. This glass has a chemical additive that allows for the absorption of the short wavelength UV photons; they bind with the additive and hence do not get any farther. However the less energetic, non-damaging visible light is not strong enough to puncture the atoms and combine with the additive; so safely passes through." Myrnin stopped and looked at her expectantly, fully engaged in teaching her.

Claire felt like she should be taking notes; she had a suspicion that he would demand a recount of the explanation in the future. Instead, she said, "Can we look around?"

In an instant, Myrnin was alive with movement and words, almost dancing as he shared with her every detail of the magnificent building. Claire smiled to see him this carefree again. In all of the drama they faced over the last few days, she had missed his carefree fun side. Claire felt herself being completely charmed and enchanted by him – their first kiss seemed to have awakened something in her – she wasn't sure exactly what it was, but knew she needed to figure it out soon, for both of them.

Too soon, Myrnin took her hand to lead her back to the secret passageway; and they headed back to the hotel.