Unrevealed Knowledge

Chapter 8—Unrevealed Knowledge

Myrnin

Claire left, but I could still feel the burn of her touch on my face. I knew this was getting dangerous – because I knew me – I was feeling emotions I hadn't felt in many, many years and I wasn't sure if I even knew how to handle, much less control.

I could see it in her eyes. She convinced herself she still loved him, but I knew there was something wrong with their connection. I had been around both of them together enough to sense it. I just didn't know what. When I listened to her emotions, I could clearly hear loyalty, safety and concern when she thought of him, but there seemed to be something missing.

I hadn't planned our kiss the other day. I hadn't planned to reveal myself to her like that, but it happened and since then, there was a distinct difference in her emotions. She had responded to me with such intensity that she surprised even me. And her heightened response was pushing my little self-control right over the edge.

When I thought of the week without her, I felt a pain so sharp, I immediately shoved it from my mind. Bad things always happened when I was in pain, usually caused by me.

I needed to do more research on the time portals and swung around, feeling giddy to delve into what fresh new science they promised. Hours turned into days, as I researched ancient texts and writings. I finally found one that was promising.

The book began with the understanding I already had. Transmutation was simply an alchemical operation on the energy particles that formed the atoms and molecules within us and our surroundings. However, it went on to add another dimension to this process. There was a chapter that explained how magnetism, imagination and magic were all related, not just in the root –mag, but how the combination of them could be manipulated to add the dimension of time.

Oliver favored calling me a 'witch'. I had always laughed at his ignorance of the physical world around him, but maybe he was on to something, I thought with a smirk.

Suddenly, I was gripped by the next chapter. There was a price to pay, a risk to calculate, when using the time portals. They could cause memory loss! NOW it all made sense - why Anwyn did not remember all of our history together. She said she only ever traveled using Time Portals and I had no idea how many years that might entail. I wondered if the effect was immediate and attacked random memories; or if a certain amount of degradation occurred over time with the consistent use of them. The text did not elaborate any further but there seemed to be an overwhelming correlation between the Time Portals and memories.

I snapped the book shut when a familiar scent hit me – Anwyn.

"Hello, love" she purred in an accent we shared.

"Hello," I said hesitantly. Anwyn may not have recalled all of our details, but she was always a force to be reckoned with, and she had certainly lost none of her strength over the centuries. I looked her up and down, not surprised by her choice of attire. A green corset of leather, silk, buckles and straps, revealing a shocking amount of cleavage – another tool she would happily use to overcome her prey. She was wearing leather pants without a skirt today and I wondered where she was hiding the weapons she most certainly had on her. I don't know why she bothered to carry weapons at all; she was equally dangerous just using her strength and teeth.

She noticed me staring at her, "Do you like what you see?"

I may have been dead, but I was still a man and replied honestly, "Yes."

She smirked in satisfaction, "So what are you waiting for? It has been days and I haven't heard from you. I will be leaving this little town soon, as I am now bored with it."

"By that, do you mean you are now bored with Oliver – and no one else can match you?"

She grinned, looking beautiful when her face was relaxed. "Yes," she said with a wicked sparkle in her eye.

I felt her subtle challenge, but ignored it.

"So, where are you going?"

"Like I told you: – Anywhere and anytime. Myrnin, it is truly amazing! Come with me – let me show you wonders I know will captivate and stimulate, that brilliant mind of yours."

I smiled; she may have forgotten the details, but she still knew me enough to appeal to my science-y side. I walked toward her to keep her focus on my eyes, when I told her no. She didn't take rejection well, so I tried to prepare myself for anything. "No Anwyn, I am needed here. The work I do affects the entire town. But it has been an unexpected pleasure to see you again." I kissed her softly on the cheek, waiting for her response.

She eyed me speculatively, "It's that girl, the human, isn't it?"

I forced my body not to react; the last thing I wanted to do was inadvertently put Claire in danger's way. I smiled wider, my stance perfectly relaxed, "No, love...I just have unfinished work here."

She pouted, but I could tell we were past the worst of it.

"Okay – I don't really believe you but don't care to dwell on it; I will just remind you that nothing good ever happens from loving them."

She turned and opened a portal. "I will leave it connected to me – in case you change your mind. If you want to find me, just open this same one – and be sure to think of me, when you go through."

I recognized her words were words of instruction, not affection; and wondered again at the science behind the Time Portals. Maybe later...I thought; the pull of unrevealed knowledge tugged on me again.